45. Jessie

Jessie

It didn't take more than fifteen minutes for me and Rachel to arrive.
Rachel was humming along the radio's songs, she looked like a totally different person than the Rachel who was pulling my hair. I smiled to myself and looked out of the window, in an attempt to hide my smile.

After Rachel parked her car, we walked into the hall which had become very crowded, people were taking their seats and a soft music was playing in the background. Me and Rachel searched the entire hall for Mr. and Mrs. Evans and Nathan. But none of them were to be found, well Mrs. Evans was busy already, especially since she was wearing the wedding dress she had designed, at the end of the show.
I finally found Mr. Evans sandwiched between two chubby men with his phone in his hand, he looked rather concerned... or worried.
He hung up the phone and nearly ran towards us when he saw us. 

"Girls! Miranda is at the models backstage dressing." He said, his voice not like himself, and he was breathing rather quickly. "She's freaking out. You guys need to go and calm her down."

Me and Rachel shared a glance with each other. She then shrugged as if to say she had no idea what was going on.

"Okay, Dad. We'll go now!" Rachel said enthusiastically. I nodded my head in agreement and we r shoulders shaking, she was hugging her knees to her chest and resting her head on her knees.

"Mom?" Rachel's surprised voice made Mrs. Evans raise her head slowly, sure enough her face was tear stained and the dark and gold glittery makeup was running down her face.

"What's wrong?" My best friend asked, sounding anxious and extremely concerned now.

"It's... Nathan..." Mrs. Evans answered weakly. I swallowed the lump in my throat. Thousands of weird and negative thoughts and images were going through my mind.

Is Nathan ill?

Is he hurt?

Has he hurt his mom? Like... told her something she doesn't like?

What on earth has happened?

"What's wrong with Nathan?" I couldn't help but ask, not waiting for Rachel to speak. Mrs. Evans stared at me for a few seconds, then wiped her face with the sleeves of the green floral sweater she was wearing, which suited her a lot. 

Then she stared at Rachel as she said: "He... has been expelled."

I put my hand over my mouth abruptly.

What?

What is she saying?

How? How can a hardworking and smart student like Nathan be expelled?

"What are you talking about Mom?" Rachel said angrily. I stared at her to grab her attention and tell her to not be rude to her mother. But judging by her tear filled eyes I think she's mad at the situation and not at her mother or Nathan.

Or anyone for that matter.

"Nathan has been expelled from University of Florida for stealing dental filling materials in the laboratory he was using," Mrs. Evans said, as more tears were running down her beautiful face.

Maybe I should ask her how she has kept her skin this young and flawless later.

"Nathan wouldn't... He wouldn't do that. We all know him! Nathan isn't like that. He's not a thief." Rachel exclaimed, shaking her head vigorously.

The lump in my throat was so thick that it might have choked me if Mrs. Evans didn't speak her next words: "I know Rach. That's not the problem, the thing is I have never thought Nathan would hide things from me. He has always told me his deepest secrets. You do remember what happened to him when that Holly girl broke him! I'm thinking... what if he breaks again. Dentistry means a lot to him. Oh... god... I haven't taken good care of him..."

"Mom! Don't say that. you have taken very good care of us!" Rachel declared, making me smile and feel proud of her.

Just then a girl who wore some kind of uniform ran to where we were standing, she had put a small microphone with headphones attached to her ears and said: "Miss, the show will start in ten minutes!"

Rachel gasped and I realized that the three of us had totally forgotten about the show.

"Rach, dear. You need to take my place. I can't do it while I'm in this conditio." Mrs. Evans said in a rush. Wide eyed and confused. 

"I... I can't do it mom! I'm as anxious and worried as you," Rachel said, making my smile disappear. I thought she'll do it...Then she suddenly stared at me, with tear filled eyes and a soft smile on her face.

"We both aren't in any condition to do it. So I think Jessie should it." She said.