68. Nathan

Nathan

I was planning to talk to James after we all walked out of Dr Bailey's room. But I noticed he wasn't feeling good so I decided to talk to him later. He, of course, had decided to go with the electroconvulsive therapy for Jessie, and today was the day we were all waiting for in anticipation. Today was the day of Jessie's therapy. Jessie had been refusing to see or talk to any of us except her doctor and her father, which was driving me nuts. But I kept calming myself down by telling myself that I can talk to her after the therapy, after she's been recovered. So instead I searched every nook for James to talk to him.

I finally found him sitting on a bench in the hospital cafeteria, his head between his hands as he was staring at the ground.

"James!" I mumbled, "can we talk?"

James looked up from where he was sitting and stared at me for while before saying, "Sure!"

I sighed audibly and sat down beside him, for a little while there was an awkward silence as we were both staring at the white wall opposite to us and we were both deep in thought, I was playing with the sleeve of my shirt as James was thinking hard, probably of his daughter.

"I don't know what to say James...." I started, after clearing my throat, "I can't undo what I have done to Jessie, so I'm sure it'll be useless to apologize or even bend on my knees." James was still looking at the wall, without showing any emotions, I didn't know if I should take that as bad sign or not, but I continued anyways. "But I'm deeply in love with Jessie, and I'll do anything for her. I didn't want you to find out this way James, I swear! I didn't want any of you to find out this way, I was figuring out a way to solve this problem. But... I never meant for this to happen. I really hope you understand."

James was still sitting there motionless, without staring at me. I slowly got on my knees in front of him and the tears came back. "Please forgive me James." James grabbed my shoulders and gently helped me stand up.

"You haven't done anything wrong, it's her own fault, she loved too deeply," James said, a sad smile playing on his lips, "there's no need to apologize, everybody makes mistakes, and as you mentioned yourself; you didn't mean any harm to my daughter, so how can I be mad at you or not forgive you. The approach was wrong, but the intention was good. I can understand why Rachel has thought about such plan, Jessie is so much like her mother. She has a weak heart and personality."

"Still..." I mumbled, clenching my hands into a tight fist as more tears ran down my cheeks, "that doesn't mean I had to do what I did, I could disagree with Rachel."

"True. But what's done is done, we can't turn back time. Instead we need to focus on the present, son." James said and smiled sadly at me.

"I... I hope Jessie will think like you." I blurted out.

"She still doesn't want to see you?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No." I replied, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"What about Rachel and Dave?" James asked, his voice getting weak at the end.

"She has only agreed to talk to Dave." I admitted, biting my lower lip and looking away from James.

"I will try and talk to her, but I can't promise anything," he said and slowly stood up.

"Thank you," I mumbled, "for everything."

"I will talk to her after her therapy." he said and patted my shoulder before leaving me to myself. I watched James walking groggily away from me.

My heart did that weird, painful fluttering I had experienced before. I have heard of heartache many times, especially from my friends. I have also heard of heartbreaks, the difference between these two words is simple. You get a heartache when you're going through a tough time or maybe you're in love. You chose to have a heartache, even if not, you're fully responsible for it.