28. Nathan

Nathan

"W-what?" I stuttered. Frowning at what Rachel just said. Not having a clue about what she was saying or thinking of. Did I hear her right?

"I said," Rachel sighed from frustration, she never liked to repeat what she had said "you have to be her fake boyfriend."

"I heard you, Rach." I said, glaring at her, "what on earth do you mean by fake boyfriend?"

"I mean, not real." Rachel said.

I sighed and rubbed my forehead from frustration. "I know what fake means, Rach. But I don't understand what you're thinking about."

"It's simple, Nathan." My sister mumbled, "All you have to do is go to dates with her and make her happy. Just be yourself with her, you know, like normal friends. You don't even have to kiss her or anything, you just-"

"Wait, wait, wait..." I said, interrupting Rachel's rambling, "so... You're for real? You want me to be her boyfriend?"

"Yes." Rachel replied, staring at anything and everywhere but me, perhaps from guilt.

"You aren't serious." I muttered and stood up from frustration, pacing back and forth the room, running my hands through my already messy hair. Making it look messier and getting me more anxious.

"I have thought about this for so long," Rachel said, her voice weak and shaky but she continued anyway "I have thought about what to do for Jessie, for so long."

"You planned this." I said, my voice higher than usual, without me wanting to. "I knew you weren't in your right mind lately, you were always thinking. Too preoccupied to even study. But I never knew you were planning this all along, this is too much Rachel."

"I have no choice." Rachel said, more like squeaked, as tears came down her already wet cheeks.. "I want to make Jessie happy"

"That's not how you should make someone happy." I snapped. Making Rachel flinch. Surprising both of us by my anger.

"Jessie would be happy this way. She just wants love." My sister mumbled. "She deserves love, you know, she is the kindest girl I've ever-"

"Rachel, please. You can't lie to her like this. Not when love means so much to her." I said, in a calmer voice. Trying to persuade my crazy sister to give up on this stupid idea.

"It's not lying (I glared at her). Well... It's a small lie," she said "I'm doing this for Jessie's sake. Just for two months, Nathan. Be her boyfriend for two months, make her feel loved. You already don't... believe in love, you said you don't want to get involved with love again, remember? So it wouldn't hurt to make Jessie feel better about herself. And it's not like you guys have feelings for each other or anything, the two months will finish without you guys getting hurt over developed feelings."

"Two freaking months?" I exclaimed. Rachel nodded her head, as she wiped her tear stained cheeks with the back of her hand. "Then what?"

"Then, you'll go back to Florida to study." Rachel replied. "And you'll tell Jessie that long distance relationship is not for you, simple as that."

"Wow. You have thought of everything. You have even planned our break up." I said sarcastically and snorted.

"It's just for two months, Nathan. Let's make Jessie happy, please." Rachel mumbled.

"You want me to lie to her for two entire months." I said, feeling disappointed and disgusted with the idea. "You want me to lie to her about my feelings, you want me to tell her I like her, or worse, love her, when I wouldn't mean any of them."

"You can just... lie the first time you ask her out. Then don't tell her you love her again." Rachel said, quickly "Just be with her and support her, like you always do. Like... a friend. She'll think you love her truly."

"You want me to give her false hopes." I said, not being able to believe what my sister just said.

"Don't give her false hopes." She said hurriedly, scared that I won't help her with her plan. "Just... lie the first time and that's all."

"Rachel." I said, breathing in, in order to calm down. "One single lie, brings more lies with itself. Jessie wants love, and not a fake love. Or a fake boyfriend. She wants real love, Rach. What you want me to do is very wrong, think about how Jessie will feel if she finds out, all of the things I've said to her those two months were all lies."

"She won't have to find out." Rachel said, in a pleading voice, making me roll my eyes. "We will be very careful. Please, Nathan. Help me with this. I'm very worried about Jessie. She's been acting very strange lately."

"You don't have to worry about her, time will heal her." I mumbled. "Don't concern yourself with her problems, please. And take good care of yourself and your reports."

"Nathan-"

"Rach, please. Forget about it. I'll pretend I haven't heard you, this is sick. You want to destroy her more, forget it please."

"But, Nathan-"

"I said, forget it. I won't lie to Jessie, you shouldn't too. What would be the difference between us and Emma if we do so?"

"That's not-"

"I don't want to talk about this subject again. End of discussion."

With that said, I walked out of Rachel's room. I couldn't sleep no matter how much I tossed and turned in my bed. And it didn't help that the right side of my bed was taken by Dave, even worse, he was snoring. I was thinking of everything Rachel told me. I didn't actually want to think about it, but my stubborn brain wouldn't let me sleep and replayed all the words of my argument with Rachel to me, like a movie.

Lying to Jessie, especially about a sensitive matter like love, is a very bad idea. She's already desperate for love. It wouldn't be easy to just break up with her. There's no easy way of breaking up with her. I know how Jessie's mind works, she would want to stick to me, like a glue. It would be worse, if I give her love, fake or not. She would like it, she would want more, and she wouldn't want it to end. So she'll try her best to make me stay in the relationship. Which had been fake from the start, but of course she wouldn't have had any idea about it. It would have been a stupid idea to break up with her after the two months is over, by telling her it has all been fake. That would hurt her more. There's actually no better alternative other than what Rachel suggested: telling her long distance relationship isn't my thing. But that would hurt Jessie too.

Then what do I do? Jessie is my friend, and I want her to be happy. But hold on- why was I thinking of Rachel's suggestions, when I didn't even agree to do it? I'm getting insane. I hate that idea, but I kept thinking about it for the almost more than half an hour. I sighed and forced my eyes to close. I seriously needed sleep. I haven't been able to get much lately. But closing my eyes was a very bad idea too. Because every time I closed them, I saw Jessie's crying face, with her torn dress.