40. Nathan

Nathan

They say: Fake it till you make it. It's actually a motivational saying. But it could be applied to my condition too. Everything got easier. Jessie has stopped stuttering around me, she was acting normal again. We seemed like we're still friends, but we had just become closer. This was making me feel more relaxed, because I didn't actually like to be pressured into doing things I might not like. Like... holding hands, stuff like that you know. Jessie seemed as concerned as me, also what made me more relaxed and put my mind to rest was: Jessie was smiling more, laughing more, and there's definitely more color on her face. She seemed happy. So I was happy also.

In order to make this relationship more real, I asked Jessie out for a second date. We were eating ice cream together. I could sense Jessie staring at me out of the corner of her eyes, but I kept staring at my colorful ice cream, pretending I hadn't noticed her stares.

"Umm... Nathan?" She said. I suppressed my smile and stared at her with a blank expression. She just had to say my name differently, hadn't she? Apparently when you have something for someone, either it's hate or love or just an attraction, you happen to say their name in a weird way.

"Yes, Jessie." I said, my lips curving up into a polite smile.

"I have something to tell you." She said, her voice shaking in the end, making me frown in worry. I didn't like the sound of this.

"Shoot" I said, and stared at Jessie's small figure. Her eyes were twinkling but probably not from happiness, her hands were playing with the sleeves of her shirt and she was biting her lips that hard, they had become red.

"Rachel's last relationship was a mess you know." She said, and sighed.

"Yeah, it was." I said and tried my best not to think of that bastard or killing him. So my eyes accidentally landed on Jessie's lips which was not a very good idea, because she just licked them. I swallowed and looked away, thankfully Jessie didn't notice my failed attempt to distract myself from... umm well everything. So thankfully she kept talking, "She's a great girl and she deserves love."

"Yeah she does, I have never liked any of her boyfriends, honestly." I said and ran my hands through my hair. If only love was true, then Rachel would have been loved more than any other girls by guys. I thought to myself.

"That's why I umm... have an idea." Jessie said, her nervousness was back, I narrowed my eyes and stared at her. Wondering what she is talking about.

"What idea?" I asked.

Jessie closed her eyes for a few seconds, as if readying herself for what she's about to say. She opened them and said, "Dave is a very good guy, you know."

"Yeah he is." I mumbled, what's Jessie trying to say? I don't understand a word coming out of her mouth.

"And they look cute together, they're always fighting but you know sometimes love develops from hate, there's a thin line between them." Jessie said, as she started playing with the sleeves of her jacket again.

Obviously Jessie was reading too much fiction stories, that's why she was saying what she was saying. Because love and hate are two very different things. And that's what I told her.

"Love and hate are very different from each other, Jessie." I said gently, or tried to say gently. Because my voice came out husky and angry which spoke for my emotions. This is why Rachel and Jessie are best friends, they both want their friend to be happy, and they both choose wrong ways to make them happy. I expected this behavior from Rachel, I already knew my sister is crazy, and has a weird imagination. But I never expected this from Jessie. I always thought she's wise.

"Rachel doesn't like opening up to people, Nathan." Jessie said, her eyes narrowed and her lips trembling, "And you already know. As for Dave-"

"You know nothing about Dave or Rachel as much as me." I snapped, my breathing quickening from anger.

"I think I know enough." Jessie muttered. If she was hurt by my outburst she didn't show it.

"Dave is a dentist to be. Rachel is a wild irresponsible girl. He can never date a girl like her." I snapped. Making Jessie flinch.

"Is this what you think of me too?" She asked, her voice shaky and weak. Her lips trembling as if she was on the verge of tears. I frowned and swallowed the lump in my throat, feeling the familiar pain of guiltiness in my chest.

"That's not what I-"

"You're a dentist, and I'm just some girl who reads love stories and have no future?"

"Jessie I'm-"

"You shouldn't have asked me out then."

"Jessie, it's not like that. I'm just worried about them. I don't think making them have a blind date together or matching them together is a very good idea. They can make their own choices you know."

"Do you think I'm talking about a blind date? Do you think I'm not aware that they're both adults?"

"Dave is not thinking about relationships at the moment, I'm very sure of that. As for Rachel, she doesn't even want to see Dave, let alone date him."

"You say you know Dave, but you aren't even aware who your friend likes."

"What do you mean?"

"Dave likes Rach, Nathan. He's crazy about her!"

"How do you..."

"It's not important how I know, what's important is getting those two together."

"I don't believe this."

Jessie was crying by the time I told her those last four words. But what she said was so unbelievable. I couldn't imagine my sister going out with my best friend. If what Jessie said was true, that meant Dave was in Louisville because of Rachel and not me. That means he was flirting with Rachel behind my back.

"That bastard." I heard myself say, as I paced back and forth grabbing a fistful of my short hair.

"Nathan, please... don't be mad at him... give... him a chance." Jessie said between sobs.

"HE HAS BEEN FLIRTING WITH HER BEHIND MY BACK!!" I shouted, making a few birds who were nesting on a nearby tree fly away. Also making a few heads turn our way.

"I will pretend I haven't heard any word you said today, in return, don't interfere in Rachel's love life." I said in a calmer voice. And walked away from Jessie leaving her by herself, crying.

I was only two meters away from her, when I felt the annoying feeling of guiltiness again. But I was still feeling the blood vessel in my neck throbbing painfully, from anger. So I couldn't risk going back to her.