66. Nathan

Nathan

"Nathan?" James said, looking surprised to find me knocking at his door, and kept looking around as if checking to see I'm alone.

"Hello Mr. King." I said and smiled warmly.

"It's James, please. Come in!" James smiled back at me and led me to the living room. The house was still the same, old colorful carpets everywhere, beautiful furniture, and the large gorgeous chandelier I loved a lot. James handed me a cup of coffee and smiled when he saw me admiring his house, just like always. I smiled back at him and took a sip of my coffee. I couldn't help but notice that colors have come back to his cheeks, and he didn't look as pale and unhealthy like before.

"I thought you'll come with Jessie." James said, looking at me out of the corner of his eyes.

"Well... I liked to come alone today. We'll visit you with Jessie another day I hope." I said, and looked away from him.

"Ah. Alright." James mumbled.

"I actually came here because you wanted to talk to us," I started, staring at the cup of coffee in my hand. "Since Jessie is... busy right now. I decided to come alone."

"I'm glad you did, son." James said, smiling. "And I'm glad you'll be my son in law one day."

I frowned, clearing my throat, "I think it's too early to talk about those things, besides... I came here to know more about Jessie." James arched an eyebrow and stared at me carefully.

"What do you want to know about her?" He asked, looking away from me and sipping on his coffee.

"Everything." I admitted. I had come this far, I might as well know everything about her.

"Forgive me, but I have to ask you a question first," He said, making me frown in confusion. "Do you really love her?"

I sighed and smiled, this was the easiest question someone has ever asked me in my entire life, even easier than the question I got asked all the time, the question was 'What do I want to be when I grow up?', and the answer was always the same ' a dentist'.

I stared at James, answering him confidently, "I'm so much in love with her, James."

He sighed, nodding his head. "Good to know. Since I think you'll be the one who can bear with her," I stared at James, confused again, making him chuckle. "I think you already know that she's very kind and very sensitive."

"I know." I said, smiling.

"She's... different," He said, suddenly looking sad, "what I'm about to tell you should remain only between us, okay?"

"I...what-"

"Nathan...this is very private, even Jessie doesn't know about it, you won't tell anyone, okay? Not even Jessie." James said staring deep into my eyes.

"Okay..." I mumbled.

"Good." He said and put his empty cup on the small table nearby. "After a few years of getting married, me and Gabriella had a baby, we named her Jessica. We were a happy family, I loved Gabriella and Jessica a lot. But sometimes life has other plans for you. Gabriella was acting weird when Jessica was five. She wouldn't come home at night and said she had work to do and needed to sleep in her office. She wore pajamas to work one day, and she kept saying that someone was following her."

I gulped, "It's just like how Jessie has been acting lately."

"Exactly," James said and smiled sadly, " Jessica is very much like her mother, I'm afraid. I was hoping she's not like her regarding that matter..."