58. Nathan

Nathan

Jessie might have been too naive to notice, but I knew Harry was lying. He was here for something, and it was not money. It was something he thought Jessie might hide. Well if he thinks so then he doesn't know Jessie at all. Jessie  is who she is, she doesn't hide anything. 

Then again it's not like he's close with Jessie, or....is he?

Thinking about that guy taking advantage of Jessie was so infuriating, in fact it made my blood boil from anger. Jessie trusts and forgives everyone who comes her way. I will have to change that about her, even for a little bit. I thought to myself. Jessie had to know nobody is trustworthy, nobody deserves to be forgiven, we're all imperfect and make mistakes. And to be honest: if we pretend we're blind when someone makes a mistake, we give them room and permission to make the same mistakes again and again.

This was why I didn't like love. The ones who love deeply will be too blind to see the other person's mistakes and wrongdoings, so the villains (yes we should call them the villains) take advantage of the situation and keep hurting the person in love.

Speaking of love, I hadn't had much time to think of my ex-girlfriend, Holly. Honestly...with all of the problems, and having fun with my friends, she never really came into my mind and I hoped it remain that way.

Anyway. As me and Jessie were busy writing her essay, my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I smiled at Jessie apologetically and slid the green button to the right.

"Hello?" I said, without giving much attention to the caller ID on the screen.

"Hello, Nathan."

To say I was surprised to hear my father's voice at this time was an understatement.

"Dad... how are you?" I asked, trying to be my old casual self with him. I could feel Jessie staring at me cautiously, probably as surprised as I was.

"I'm fine. How are you... and Jessie?" Dad asked.

What?

"Uh... we're all good, Rachel is fine too, she-" I started, but my father cut me off.

"I'm not talking about Rachel, I'm talking about your relationship with Jessie." My father declared. I frowned, feeling my heart skip a beat, as it was beating furiously in my chest.

"How... did you know?" I asked, Jessie frowned too, worrying that I was in trouble again, because she grabbed my free hand, put it in her lap and drew imaginary circles on it with her thumb.

"That's not important," My father replied, "how are things between you two?"

"We're good." I said. Jessie touching my hand was so distracting that I wasn't able to think of any words to say.

"I'm proud of you, son. You finally know your value, Jessie is an amazing girl, and I'm sure she's going to be an amazing wife for you in the future." Dad said.

What?

"Dad!" I exclaimed, "We're not-"

"-serious, I know." My father said, cutting me off again. "But...let the future decide. Anyways, I'm sure you and Jessie can make some time for your parents, tomorrow?"

"Umm..." I gulped. Oh no! How do I get out of this? When parents meet the girl it usually means it's getting serious. But... our relationship is not even real. Well... it's fake on my side anyways.

I was planning on breaking up with her soon, but... this will not only hurt Jessie, it will hurt my parents too. And if my parents know, Jessie's father will find out soon, which will hurt him too.

"Great!" My father said enthusiastically without waiting for my reply. "Tomorrow at six PM , Miranda says she's going to cook a delicious meal for you, we'll be waiting."

"Okay..." I mumbled, having no choice and knowing no way to get out of this mess.

"Well then see you soon son." Dad said.

"See you..." I said and hung up.

"Is he mad at you?" Jessie asked the moment I put the phone back in my pocket. I smiled and shook my head no.

"Oh..." She mumbled and relaxed visibly.

"They want me and you to have dinner with them tomorrow." I said and stared at her, waiting for her reaction.

Her eyes widened as she said: "Only the two of us?"

"Only the two of us." I confirmed.

"Like... meeting the parents for the first time and stuff like that?" She asked, making me chuckle.

"Like meeting the parents and stuff like that, yes." I said.

"Oh..." Jessie mumbled again and looked away, frowning and biting her lip, "Will they like me?" I stared at her in surprise, was she for real? Was she having doubts about my parents not liking her?

"Don't worry they will, let's get back to the essay." I said and looked away from her.
Why did I agree to this, when I don't even have feelings for Jessie at all?

Oh.. yeah... to make her feel loved. And I think I had succeeded so far, since she was smiling like an idiot, as she laid her head on my shoulder, while I was busy writing her essay.

"I think I'm the happiest girl alive..." She murmured sleepily, before she closed her eyes and fell into a deep sleep.