42. Nathan

Nathan

True to Jessie's words, I noticed Dave was staring at Rachel a lot. Like, a lot. He's staring at her when she's eating, when she's laughing or smiling, when she's rolling her eyes, when she's being sarcastic or doesn't like something. It's not that he's staring, It's the way he's staring at my sister that made me feel guilty. He's smiling whenever Rachel was smiling or she was happy. His eyes were twinkling whenever Rach came into the room he's in. And he actually didn't mind Rachel's rude attitude towards him. Actually he seemed quite amused by it. Jessie was right. Dave liked Rachel a lot, but he never told me about it. Well... it would be weird to tell your best friend that you like his sister. Open minded or not. That's considered unforgivable among guys. I can't believe I acted so stupidly yesterday when Jessie told me about it. Dave was not flirting with my sister after all, not in front of me, and not behind my back.

I was searching for Jessie everywhere to apologize to her but I couldn't find her. Or maybe she didn't want to be found I was not sure. I searched her room, the entire apartment, I went to the library she studies in and even asked Samuel and Emma if they'd seen her. I searched everywhere I suspected she'll go. But she was nowhere to be found. I was supposed to make her happy, not sad. I quickly left the library before I have a fight with Emma and continued searching for that girl. It was not a very good idea to search for Jessie in the library, since she would not have gone to a place where Emma was anyways. I finally gave up and went back home, feeling exhausted and a little bit angry at Jessie. Rachel and Dave had cooked a delicious looking meal for dinner which was a total surprise, I mean I thought they didn't get along well?

We were in the middle of having dinner when Jessie came into the kitchen, pulled out a chair and begun eating. Without talking, and completely avoiding my gaze. I kept staring at her but she was too busy and struggling with the slice of pizza in her hands that she wasn't even aware that I was glaring at her and questioning her in my mind.

Like: Where were you?

Why are you avoiding me?

Why are you not even staring at me?

All these questions I wanted to ask made me forget the real purpose of looking for her all day. Which was to apologize to her.

"Thank you guys, it was so delicious," Jessie said cheerfully, "I'll go to my room now, you guys won't mind doing the dishes, right? I have many things to do."

"Of course not, go right ahead and rest Jessie." Dave said with a polite smile. Maybe a reason why Rachel didn't like Dave was because he is so much kinder than me, and Rachel has that weird thinking that a person needs to be both kind and rude, like herself obviously. Anyways. Jessie walked out of the kitchen and to her room without looking at me. I thanked Dave and Rachel too and followed Jessie to her room.

"Jessie?" I called her as I ran after her. In hopes of catching up to her and talking to her before she goes into her room. I grabbed her shoulders, Jessie frowned when she saw me, then her frown disappeared, so that all there was on her face was an expressionless mask.

"Umm... can we talk?" I said calmly and removed my hands on her shoulders.

"Sure!" She said and waited patiently with a raised eyebrow.

"I wanted to apologize to you." I said and bit my lip. However Jessie's expression didn't alter and she still had that blank expression on her face.

"What for?" She asked.

"For yelling at you and for not understanding you." I answered and sighed, feeling quite embarrassed about my behavior. "I'm very sorry. I just... it's just that Rachel and Dave both mean a lot to me, I was also very worried about Rachel getting hurt."

"What are you talking about?" Jessie asked, frowning in confusion.

"I'm talking about our fight, Jess." I said and sighed in frustration.

"When did we have a fight?" She asked, her frown deepening.

"Yesterday!" I exclaimed, and frowned too. "Okay. I know I hurt you, but there's no need to avoid me or pretend we haven't had a fight."

"I have never avoided you," Jessie mumbled, looking a bit sad.

"Then where were you all day?" I asked, my voice a little louder than I had intended to. So I cleared my throat and repeated that same question in a calmer, more gentle voice.

"I was in the bathroom, taking a shower." Jessie said, and made a face, like it was the most obvious thing.

"You were taking a shower?" I asked in disbelief, "all day?"

"Yeah!" She answered, with the same ' why didn't you know' expression.

"Wait, wait... you were in the bathroom... taking a shower all day?" I asked, my temper about to rise again, but I kept telling myself that I couldn't have another fight with my girlfriend. Fake or not.

"Yeah." Jessie said, looking confused and sad, as if she didn't know why that was such a big deal. She smiled sweetly and walked closer to me, until she was only inches away from my face.

"I don't know what might have happened yesterday," Jessie said cheerfully, "but I forgive you, and I'm sorry." She walked even closer to me, making me gulp and gave me a peck on my cheek. Then she left me standing there, in front of her bedroom door, dumbfound and confused.

What did just happen?