37. Jessie

Jessie

It had gotten completely dark and cold since we finished having our dinner by the beautiful beach. We left the table and started walking by the beach, the fresh air and the sound of the waves hitting each other felt very relaxing. Nathan was staring at the distance as if waiting for a ship or something to arrive. The cold wind hit my bare arms and legs. I couldn't help but shiver, and wrap my arms around myself. I stared down at my clothes and mentally slapped myself for not thinking about bringing a coat, or a jacket or something with me. It's freaking January and I was wearing a sleeveless dress. With no jacket on, great! Just great! Way to go Jessie. My shivering and scowling was of course not unnoticed by Nathan. He stared at my clothes and frowned. Okay. I think I don't need a jacket. It's already hot. I thought to myself. But of course Nathan didn't notice that I was sweating, under his gaze. He bit his lips and smiled sheepishly at me.

"Wait a minute, okay?" He said and jogged to the far end of the beach, before I utter a word, to where his car was parked. Now that Nathan was gone, I felt cold again. I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself tighter. I could feel every single hair on my body stand out from cold. Nathan jogged back to where I was, holding a jacket in his hands. He handed me the jacket, smiling politely at me. I still had my arms still around myself. Not being able to reach out to the jacket. Nathan's smile dropped, as he took in my appearance. And how my teeth were grinding from cold. He sighed and put his jacket around me gently, he grabbed my wrist to detangle me from my own body and put it in the right sleeve of the jacket, then he grabbed my other wrist and did the same. I felt heat rush into my cheeks and I knew I was blushing, from embarrassment. Although I wasn't sure if I was embarrassed because someone was putting clothes on me like a child. Or the person who put clothes on me was none other than Nathan! I felt myself warm up immediately and smiled at Nathan thankfully.

"Thank you." I mumbled and snuffled.

"You're welcome." Nathan replied and handed me a Kleenex. I took it from him shyly and quietly blew my nose. Making Nathan chuckle.

Why the hell am I so embarrassed of my own childhood friend? We have done many embarrassing things together and in front of each other. I complained at myself. We were only six when Rachel was very ill and accidentally farted in front of me and Nathan. She cried from embarrassment so me and Nathan started creating farts to make her feel better, it actually worked and we were soon laughing very hard, and well... filling the room with a nasty smell, but you know what my point is.

"I think you'll get cold, you're already cold. We should probably get back home." Nathan said and slowly walked away from me to where his car was parked. I nodded despite the fact that he couldn't see me and followed him close behind. He stopped walking abruptly, making me bump right into his solid back.

"Ouch!" I said and rubbed my forehead with my hand which was covered completely by the long sleeves of Nathan's jacket, which was too big for me. Nathan turned around and made a face, which was a little bit scary. Making me gulp.

"Can you please not walk behind me? Walk right beside me." He said, making me flinch. "Sorry," he added quickly when he saw me shiver and flinch at his high tone "but don't follow me like a lost puppy, walk beside me please." I nodded furiously and followed him again, then I frowned and remembered what he just said so I jogged so that I was right beside him and we both walked in silence to where Nathan's Mercedes Benz was. He quickly opened the door for me to get in. We were soon on our way home, I glanced at the clock and nearly gasped when I saw the time, it was 10:46 PM. I was usually fast asleep at that time.

"I'm sorry, Jessie." Nathan said, staring at me for a few seconds, then he stared back at the road quickly. "I planned to take you somewhere else too, but it's already too late. I didn't realize it would take us this much time."

"It's alright," I said genuinely and smiled at him "I had fun."

He stared at me from the corner of his eyes and smiled back "And I have plans with Dave. That's why I'm taking you home early, I don't want you to get sick so make sure you have some warm soup or something."

"Yeah I will." I mumbled. Slightly disappointed that he was taking me home because he had other plans. But wasn't going to stick to his original plan which was to take me elsewhere. It didn't take more than fifteen minutes to arrive home. And true to his words, Dave was standing right in front of the apartment. Waiting for Nathan.

"Goodnight, Jessie." Nathan mumbled. I stared at him for a few seconds and tried to force a smile.

"Good night." I said and reached for the door handle, but then I frowned and remembered something. I think... Nathan doesn't know much about dating after all. Maybe I'm better than him, even though I'm inexperienced.

"Nathan?" I called his name, feeling my chest tighten. And my palms sweaty.

"Yes, Jessie." He said and stared at me expectantly. I looked away from him and my eyes landed on Dave, who was waiting patiently for me to get out. He kicked a stone and pouted.

"Umm... are we...a thing now?" I asked, biting my lower lip.

Nathan's eyebrows furrowed as he heard what I said, he sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "Of course we are, Jessie. We had our first date, didn't we?"

"We did." I replied, my voice surprisingly strong "But we didn't talk about anything. It was like... we were hanging out as friends." I quickly put my hand over my mouth and cursed myself for blurting out and saying anything which came to my mind straight away. "Sorry."

"It's alright." Nathan said, chuckling. He looked quite amused. "One doesn't have to say everything to make their loved ones understand what they mean, Jessie."

Loved ones.

"I think you're smart enough to know we are a thing now," he continued, frowning a little "As in: you're my girlfriend, and I'm your boyfriend."

Oh.My.God. He's my boyfriend? And I'm his girlfriend?

I'm a girlfriend?

"You are." Nathan said. Grinning.

Oh lord. I didn't realize I thought out loud. Here I go again.

"Umm... well... Good night." I mumbled and quickly got out of the car, without waiting for Nathan's reply.

"Hello, Jessie." Dave said as he passed by me and got in Nathan's car.

"Hello, Dave." I replied and ran into the building. I quickly pressed on the number of my flat in the elevator. As soon as Rachel opened the door, I threw myself at her and nearly crashed her bones from hugging her too tight.

"Ouch.... Jessie.... Wait..... I can't...."

I screamed at the top of my lungs after letting my best friend go and beamed at her.

"Calm the sugar candies down girl!" Rachel said, I nodded eagerly still grinning like a crazy maniac "Now spill!" I told her everything, from the moment Nathan appeared with all the red roses, to when we arrived at the beach and had dinner and watched the sunset together, to when I was feeling cold and Nathan gave me his own jacket. Which I was still wearing.

"Your brother is very romantic." I said and beamed at Rachel. Whose mouth had formed an 'O' shape.

"Are you sure you're talking about my brother? As in: Nathaniel Evans? The cold hearted bastard?" She asked. I nodded my head and giggled at Rachel's reaction.

Nathan must be in love with me very much, that's why even Rachel doesn't believe what her brother has done for my sake. For the sake of his love.

"Well... He's my brother after all." Rachel said as she flipped her hair, as if to say Nathan has got his romantic side from her. I was very tired that I couldn't sleep all night, I was tossing and turning in bed. And it didn't help when I was hearing Nathan calling my name, but when I looked around my room he was nowhere to be found. I finally fell asleep, but I had a restless sleep, I dreamt of Nathan kidnapping me from my own husband in church and forcing me to be his wife.