73. Jessie

Jessie

A period will come in life, which we might feel like there's actually no joy in life, we mught even doubt the people closest to us, and we'll wonder if they ever loved us at all. Just because something has happened in our lives and just because someone let us down, we start to doubt everyone around us. I admit, I'm actually the type who doubts everyone. But seeing my father taking care of me, and checking the time of my pills or how Rachel was actually very worried when I got sick and how she always freaks out when I pretend I'm about to faint just to scare her out. Or how Harry, who I've found out lately that he was actually my half brother, was so kind and caring. And all of them were giving me so much love, that I almost forgot his absence. Almost.

But the truth is, I missed him, and I was trying my best not to go there. But every time I let my mind think about him I usually feel a huge void in my chest. I knew deep inside that it can actually be filled, but when, and how and how long it took for that void to fill, that I didn't know. I was laying on the sofa in my father's house, with a cup of steaming coffee in my hands (which Harry made for me) and a blanket covering my legs (which was my father's idea, since he thought I'll get cold). Harry was busy humming his favorite song while washing the dishes, his singing voice was so terrible that it made me laugh a couple of times, or maybe that was his intention, to make me laugh, you know.

Dad was taking a shower, and Rachel went to my apartment to see if everything is okay... regarding him leaving the apartment without a trace (which I tried my best not to think of), my father thought it was better for me to stay with him for a few days, so that he could take care of me, until I get better. I took a sip of my coffee after smelling it for the billionth time and heard the doorbell ring repeatedly. I frowned and stared at Harry who was dancing while holding a glass in his hand, using it as a microphone to sing.

"Harry!" I shouted, since his voice was so loud that I was sure he wouldn't have heard me if I had called him gently.

"What?" Harry shouted back and glared at me, "Don't interrupt my choreography please!"

"It's the door! Go get it!" I shouted, glaring back at him. The doorbell kept ringing nonstop, which was getting annoying.

"I can't. Can't you see I'm dancing to Britney Spears?" Harry exclaimed and continued dancing. I groaned and put the cup of coffee on the table. Then I got up and got to the door slowly.

"I'm coming!" I said and shook my head, whoever this was, they were impatient ones for sure. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and adjusted my clothes just in case it was an important person, before I opened the door.

I gasped audibly the moment I saw the person standing there at the doorstep. I don't know whether I was surprised that Nathan was actually there, in front of me. Or was it the fact that I just noticed how much I actually missed him, and how much I had wanted to see his face again and kiss him again. Or I don't know if I was actually surprised that Nathan had dark circles, his hair was messy and his eyes were bloodshot red. I wanted to say things, but somewhere in my mind there was this voice telling me that I wasn't even supposed to talk to him, but then there was this other voice which told me the way Nathan was staring at me without even uttering a word was really nice, but I didn't let this latter voice get to me. I blinked and looked away from him.

I was about to close the door, when Nathan held the door handle quickly.

"Wait!" He said, "Jess... let's talk... please..."

I ignored him and pushed the door with greater force to close it, but Nathan was stronger and he wouldn't let me close the door.

"Please! Just give me this chance. I'm going back to Florida today, you won't see my face again."