46. Nathan

Nathan

I heard the music of the hall change from slow to fast. So I got up from where I was sitting in the garden, with the colorful fragile flowers and decided to go and watch mom's fashion show. Even though I was not feeling like it. But I knew missing her show will be a more major disappointment to her and to me as well.

Besides, it meant a lot for her. I couldn't miss it just because I was  feeling sad or depressed. This was  mom's dream we're talking about. So here I was sitting and waiting for the show to start. Inside, the music was even louder, the lights suddenly dimmed and Chris Brown's stranger things was on. Then a model walked professionally on the stage, it was like she was dancing to the beats of the song, but well... she wasn't dancing, so it looked weird for me.

I don't know much about fashion but I do know the first models and the next ones all looked like peacocks. All colorful and glittery and full of feathers in their clothes and hair and even eyebrows.

Not that I don't like my mom's taste, but even the girl's makeup was so professional that I couldn't differentiate between them and a peacock.

I looked around to check people's reaction, the photographers were taking photos of the models whenever they posed and some of the rich looking people were nodding, others were taking notes, while the remaining ones were just staring at the model's clothes up and down.

After a few minutes the lights got even dimmer if that was even possible, the music changed to a slow one, which was something I was very glad for, since my head was throbbing from pain.

Then a model wearing a wedding dress appeared, the spotlight was on her and everyone seemed to be holding their breath, as if it's the last ten minutes of the finale of the World Cup. The model's gown had little bit of feathers on it, the front of the dress was long enough to cover her heels, the back looked like it was a few inches longer, the dress looked like a ball gown, the one Cinderella wore.

The neckline was off the shoulders, the dress looked very simple without any design except the feathers. The veil was very long and transparent, making me wonder how on earth she could walk and not stumble on what she was wearing.

This time I saw lots of head nodding and even smiling in approval. 

Looks like they loved it.

But for me...

It was not the dress which looked beautiful to me. It was the model. She looked beautiful, and I think it was her which has made the wedding gown look beautiful too. It was when she was about to trip on her dress, that I recognized who she was.

Jessie.

My jaw dropped for the second time that day from surprise. 

What is Jessie doing there? 

Last time I checked Jessie wanted to be an author, not a model.

Our eyes met, I smiled and nodded in encouragement. Thankfully I did that in the right time, because she put her hands on her hips and posed, as she smiled back at me.

Her hair was tied up and covered by the veil, this made her face and features more visible. I needed to tell her later to put her hair into a ponytail every time.

Jessie walked back to the backstage, judging by the way she was walking with difficulty and very slowly. She must be wearing heels. I smiled to myself and stared at Jessie until she disappeared.

After the models all came back, following each other in line. Mom appeared and waved at the crowd of people. Then the curtains closed, some people left, others stayed for an after party. And me... I was thinking about a way to dig a hole right in this hall and bury myself in it.

But thankfully my parents were too busy with the guests, Rachel had found some of her own friends, so I felt delighted when I saw Jessie who was back in her normal- umm... those are Rachel's clothes. But well at least she looked normal.

I walked towards her, my smile dropped once I saw the condition she was in. Her knees were shaking, her lips trembling and her hands trembling too. She looked terrified.

"Jessie?" I called her. She stared at me and sighed in relief, then she threw her arms around me, making my jaw drop for the third time today.