20. Nathan

Nathan

The party was going well, after Rachel annoyed the hell out of me, I decided to dance with her otherwise she was going give me a headache. So we danced and laughed, the cake was brought, and I made a wish. More gifts were brought, dancing continued, everyone was enjoying their time. And I was glad my parents threw this party for me, it distracted me since I met my old friends again, and we had the best time of our lives. But all of that changed, when I heard Rachel gasp. Her eyes had widened and she was walking like a zombie.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, but before she could answer I heard a loud bang. I turned around. The remaining of my cake was all on the floor, it has gotten dirty and it no longer looked like a cake. Someone was covered in all the cream of the cake, I gasped when I saw it was Jessie. Emma was standing beside her, while Jessie was sitting on the floor, covered in cake cream. Everybody has stopped dancing, we were all staring at Jessie.

Then Emma walked towards Jessie, and pulled her hair. Jessie was frozen in her place, not moving or defending herself. It was like she wasn't aware of what was going on, she let Emma do what she wanted to her. And Emma did whatever she wanted, she pulled her hair, she hit her face, and tore her dress. She called her many names and cursed her. While Jessie was frozen in place. She didn't do anything. What hurt more was that, everyone was watching without doing anything.

"You bitch!" Emma screamed. "You like my boyfriend!"

Rachel was shaking beside me, she too was frozen in her place. She was crying, and was holding my arm tightly, as if begging me to help.

"You worthless bitch!" Emma pulled Jessie's hair more, "How can you do that to me? How can you do that to your best friend?"

Everybody was watching, but I couldn't take it anymore. I walked in a hurry towards them, Emma was still hitting and humiliating Jessie. Just when I reached them ,I grabbed Emma's hands forcefully and pushed her away from Jessie, Emma didn't give up and wanted to attack Jessie again, but Sam was quick to put his arms around her waist, and take her away from Jessie. I sighed in relief, and turned to look at Jessie. Her hair was in a mess, her dress was completely torn, and her face was covered in makeup, she was sobbing silently. I took off my jacket, and put it around her, thankfully Rachel came too, she hugged her best friend, and whispered soothing words in her ear.

"Let's take her home." I mumbled and linked my arm with Jessie's arm.

"There's no need, Nathan. I'll take her home, you stay here." Rachel muttered, her thick tears still coming down from her eyes.

"Are you sure?" I asked, and stared at Jessie's condition once more. She looked like she was in a shock, and I pitied her.

"Yeah, I'm sure." My sister said, and took Jessie away. Dave stared at Rachel and Jessie as they slowly walked out of the hall, then he stared back at me and sighed.

"That was horrible, why did she do that to her?" Dave asked, frowning when he saw Sam and Emma. Sam was holding Emma tightly by her waist, Emma was still trying to get free and go to Jessie. The music was playing again, and the hall was cleaned from the ruined cake. I and Dave walked towards Sam, who looked like he was struggling with Emma.

"You don't understand!" Emma yelled, Sam grabbed her arms forcefully and pulled her towards himself.

"I understand. You know what I just understood?" Sam gritted his teeth from frustration, Emma was a bit calmer the moment Sam was talking, and she was listening to him with all her heart. "I understand that you're a selfish, rude, mental person. And I can never be with someone like you!" With that said, Sam let go of Emma's arms, and he walked past us. Emma was crying as she was staring as Sam's retreating figure. But she didn't go after him. Then her attention was on us, and she frowned when she saw me glaring at her.

"I hope you're happy." I said. Emma didn't say anything, and I didn't know what she was thinking of. One thing was for sure though; she never regretted what she did to Jessie. And I will never forgive her for what she did to her. Even if Jessie forgives her.

"There you are son!" My mother's beautiful smile lightened my heart when I left Emma alone, and went to spend some time with my parents.

"Where did Rachel go?" My father asked, as he put one arm around my mother.

"She went with Jessie back home." I mumbled.

"Oh. Poor girl. Why did that girl do that to her?" My mother exclaimed.

"It's a long story," I replied. "I like to go back home, too, if you don't mind."

"We didn't give you our present yet" My father smiled. "It's a - ouch" My mother elbowed him, and glared at him. My father shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

"You'll see, darling. Come with us." My mother said.

I and Dave stared at each other for a while, then we both followed my parents out of the hall. On the opposite side of the small garden, a large thing was covered in a white cover. I grinned once I knew that's my present. It was definitely a car. My father uncovered the car, me and Dave both gasped when we saw what it was. A black Mercedes Benz SL65. Unbelievable.

"Happy birthday, son." My father said.

"Happiest birthday, my dear child." My mother said, and wiped a single tear on her cheeks "My baby has grown up."

I smiled and put my arms around her "Don't cry please." Then I let go of my mother and hugged my father next. I examined my car carefully and grinned.

My smile immediately dropped, as I remembered the thing I'm hiding from them. Will they be proud of me if they knew about it?

I don't know.

"What's the matter, Nathan?" My mother asked.

"It's nothing." I lied and forced a smile.

My parents hugged me both, making me breathless. And I couldn't help but be glad that my flushed face was not seen by them. Because I was feeling very ashamed, not for something I hadn't done. But for something I hid from them.