→ chapter 13;;

FLASH·BACK

1. interruption of chronological sequence (as in a film or literary work) by interjection of events of earlier occurrence; also : an instance of flashback

2. a past incident recurring vividly in the mind

-

I slowly walked into the park entrance, seeing Nick sitting down to where we were supposed to meet.

"Hey." I called as I sat down on the playground set that was rusty and broken down. 

"Sup." He replied with a simple smile, looking off in the distance, rather than at me.

"You good? You have been acting so weird lately." I said, referring to him being weird the other day during lunch.

"Fine, just tired." I could hear the lying ring in his voice.

"Nick, seriously, what's wrong?" I said, sitting close to him.

Our eyes connected and he looked away.

"A girl." He said slowly, and I felt the butterflies that I thought were so strong in that moment, flew away.

My fingers crept strongly around the base of the playground and my eyes scaled the side of his flushed cheeks. He was embarrassed.

I felt tingles run up my spine like a marathon, and my cheeks began to flush with blushes as well.

"What is she like?" I asked out of pure curiosity. 

"She's...." He took a deep breath and stared off into the setting sun. 

I waited a moment, seeing his lip quiver with an anxious bite of his lip, and I could feel the groan of the rusty set that we sat on when he adjusted his weight and balance.

"She's beautiful, but she rarely notices it in herself." He said after moments of silence and preparing himself.

She sounds insecure.

"Some girls don't want to because they will get full of themselves, maybe she's just humble." I pointed out.

Who was this girl, and why was I defending her?

I was okay if Nick liked another girl, it was his choice.

He was my best friend, and if it made him happy, then I hope this girl was the best girl he could find.

"Does she make you happy?" I asked slowly, expecting a nod.

He shook his head and broke out into a chuckle.

"No, she pisses me off. But in a good way. She is funny and sweet but also a savage, and that's what makes me love her." He smiled off into the distance before looking at me.

I smiled and nodded, peering down at the mulch below and zoning out.

Who could it be? It could be this girl that talks to him a lot in chemistry.

Or maybe the older student in Alegebra II who flirts with him? 

"What's her name?" I asked, looking back at him.

"Well, it's kinda unique, a lot of people wouldn't guess it right away." He shrugged and I nodded.

Now my heart was beating faster. Who could this girl be?

Unique, beautiful, funny, but also savage - that combination was pretty crazy in these parts of town.

"Does she go to our school?" I asked and he nodded.

"She's quite the outcast." He noted and I furrowed my thin eyebrows, biting my lip with concentration.

Seriously, I was stumped. So many faces were zooming through my brain, and I sighed.

"Well, then go after her. Usually, just going for a kiss helps." I shrugged and looked at him.

"You don't think it's too brash?" He asked with hesitation and I shook my head.

"Usually, decent girls think out of impulse rather than overthinking. You don't want a girl who can't process certain things correctly." I said.

It was partly true, but everyone overthinks, it doesn't matter how perfect you think you are.

I felt warmth on my side and turned my head, Nick's face right there.

"W-what are you doing?" I asked, quite bothered by the fact that he was so close.

"You told me to go for it." He mumbled with a devilish smirk on his lips, leaning in closer and our lips meeting.

His hands trailed up and moved my hair which brushed up against his face.

This felt like heaven, but it reminded me of that night at the party.

It was like a flashback.

Quickly dispersing from the kiss, I scooted back a little and tucked my hair behind my ear.

Did I just ruin it? 

-

Probably lmao

- Charissa