→ chapter 33;;

RISK

RISK

1. a situation involving exposure to danger.
-
My eyes connected with Lukas's with the pure intention to fear. I didn't feel safe, nor did I feel comfortable.

"Don't get closer." I warned, his feet sideways on the cement. "I just needed to see you." He sucked in and I closed my eyes and gulped.
-
12 hours earlier
My eyes clicked to the whiteboard as my Chemistry teacher skillfully put his students to sleep.

It was an art, his delicacy in being the schools most boring teacher.

Nick had skipped school today in order to go to the doctor a few hours away. It was boring without him.

Lunch passed quickly, and I was left at the end of the day to see Nick pull up.

He was a sight for sore eyes, that was for sure. "Wow, you look really pretty in those." He pointed out I was sporting his adidas pants.

"Why thank you, very comfortable, rating them ten out of ten." I winked and he kissed my cheek.

I feel like I am the most awkward person ever, I can never NOT blush, I am too soft.

While we pulled out of the parking lot, my phone buzzed in a collection of texts.

Lukas: Mal, please answer me, I am so sorry about what happened the other night. It wasn't me, I was trying to be someone I am not.

Lukas: Can we at least talk about it? Tonight at Denny's?? 6pm?? Please, Mal, I need to make sure you know what I am saying.

Malibu: Fine

I put down my phone with a nervous graze of my lip and Nick noticed. "What's up?" His eyes met mine at a quick red light. "Just stressed, I have a group project." I lied.

I hated lying to anybody, especially Nick. It wouldn't start our relationship. or whatever this was, off with a bang.

This was my own journey, I wanted Nick to stay out of it. The last thing I needed was Nick to get hurt or Lukas to get mad. Lukas was unpredictable, unstable.
-
"You're not coming, I am just getting something to go." I said over the phone in a huff, making sure Nick didn't show up at Denny's with me.

"But I miss youuuu and I wanna hang out." Nick said in a high pitched voice.

I smiled silently in a cute reply and sighed. "Maybe after? I'll pick something up for you." I jangled my keys. I had changed into a black romper and white sandals.

"Fine, i'll text you my order." He replied.

Within minutes I was parking, and could see Lukas waiting. I got out of my car and instantly regret meeting up with him. What was I thinking?

"Hey, thanks for co-coming." His hands stuffed deep into his pockets and I nodded willingly with a smile.

"Follow me." He walked beside the building and I immediately felt unsafe, and it showed in my expression.

"Don't worry, I am just moving us to a quiet space." Lukas had a gift of persuasion, but some bait is easy to follow.

My eyes connected with Lukas's with the pure intention to fear. I didn't feel safe, nor did I feel comfortable.

"Don't get closer." I warned, his feet sideways on the cement. "I just needed to see you." He sucked in and I closed my eyes and gulped.

"What you did was stupid, Nick had a right to knock a tooth out." I grimed with a sour stare, my feet pointed towards the lanky tall boy.

"I know, I was drunk and probably high." He pointed out. "But Malibu, I really like you." His hands reached out and I backed up a ways.

He slowly took his hands back in and saw he wasn't welcome. "You don't trust me." He acknowledged.

"Trust is earned." I said softly. Lukas's facial expression changed from soft to anger. "But Nick isn't good for you, he breaks girls hearts." He roughly pointed and my heart began racing.

"He protects me, like you should've." I stayed calm, and Lukas licked his lips in angry frustration.

"Protect you from what?" He threw his arms up.

"Yourself." I folded my arms and he turned to me, stepping closer. "Do you fear me, Malibu?" I could smell his breath, the distinct trail of alcohol.

"'No." I hesitated, my voice quivering in a shaky discharge. "Then why not trust me?" His hands met my shoulders and I looked him square in the eyes.

"I will forgive you for what you did, Lukas, but you can't expect me to welcome you back into my life." My shoulders shook his cold hands free of contact with my arms, and I strided back to the Denny's.

"Wait." His hand scoped around the same wrist he had bruised previously. "Get off of me!" I threw his hand back.

"Don't you see? I like you!" He insisted.

"Are you blind? You hurt me." I held up my wrist to show the fading bruises.

I walked to the end of the alley and saw a figure.

"'Malibu, who is that?" I gasped at the voice.

"Nick, let's go." I pushed him back before he noticed it was Lukas.

"Nobody, let's go."

How the hell did Nick even get here?
-
you know when you have this really bad crush
thats me rn