→ chapter 28;;

CAFFEINE

CAFFEINE

An alkaloid compound which is found especially in tea and coffee plants and is a stimulant of the central nervous system.

-

I pulled a chair up and slid my textbook out of my bookbag, seeing Lukas walk back with two hot chocolates. 

"How much did mine cost?" I asked and he shrugged with a sly smile. "Not tellin' you because you're not paying me back." 

"Fine, but I owe you one." 

"Deal."

We both peered at my book and I pointed my finger.

"See, the cognitive function is something I hate, but it's easy. You pair the two numbers then multiply." I explained and he nodded.

"Only if our teacher explained it that easily." He chuckled and I agreed with a stern nod.

"I wish."

We talked for awhile after studying, into the early afternoon. It was nearly 3pm when he saw the time.

"Wow, we could talk for hours, eh?" He asked and I laughed cutely with a smile.

That's right, Malibu, be cute. Suck him in like a vacuum.

I mean, listen to yourself, you're head over heels for making Nick jealous.

Why not enjoy yourself? Don't just be doing this to make Nick feel bad. 

"I was wondering, do you go to dances?" My cheeks went pink as I let the words slip out.

Should I of been that forward? It's just a small school ball.

"Is this about the school ball?" His gray eyes trailed up to mine in curiosity as he sipped his water.

My head bounced in a bubbly nod.

"Eh, I don't but if it's with you then I will." The end of his lips curved in a flirtatious smile, and I tried to keep a smile under my nose. He was smooth, wasn't he?

"Good, because I don't have a date and I was beginning to think I had to stay home and watch my friends go with cute guys. Why not go with one of my own?" I said slowly and he tried to look away.

Did I just ruin it?

"Wow, that was the smoothest line I have ever heard leave your lips, Malibu." He sunk into an impressive expression and I chuckled sweetly.

"Hey, I am new to this whole flirting thing, you started it." I pinned my finger at him and he scoffed.

"I wasn't flirting, thanks." He played it off and I rolled my eyes.

"You need to get good at lying, maybe it'll make your flirting better." I retorted and he clutched his heart.

"I would flip you off but I am gentleman and we're around twenty other people." He whispered harshly with a goofy smile.

I sat back with a flutterish heart and noticed.

You're having fun, Malibu, you're actually putting yourself into someone! So proud.

Maybe it was the caffeine, but I think you actually were making an effort.

It felt weird talking to someone genuinely other than Nick, everything kinda fell into place.

-

my arms hurt from weights

and i stubbed my toe earlier trying to pet my dog

;(