Chapter 23

Dick and I went outside to get away from the party for a moment. Dick helped me sit down on the bench.

"Are you cold?" He asked.

"I'm fine." I said as he sat next to me. He took his jacket and gave it to me anyways.

"Here let me get your shoes off. The straps look like they're about to cut of the circulation." Dick said as he took my shoes off.

"Thank you." I said as he took them off.

"Damien did them too tight." I said.

"I'm gonna have to get new shoes after this pregnancy."

"Oh no, don't take Babs shoe shopping." Dick said.

"I won't." I said as I leaned against him.

"It's a beautiful night." I said.

"Not a beautiful as you." Dick said as he kissed my cheek.

Dick stood up, "come on and dance with me." He said as he held his hand out to me.

"And I was just getting settled." I said as I held my hand out to him.

He helped me up and I stood on his feet as Dick held me as close as he could. We danced around the garden laughing. I put my hands on Dick's face.

"I love you so much." Dick said.

"I love you too." I said. Dick kissed me.

"Hey are you two kissing?" Jason radioed. Dick and I pulled away.

"Who was the question directed to?" Dick asked.

"You two." Kaldur asked.

"Shame on you Kaldur. I expect this from Jason but you too?" I radioed.

I felt a sharp pain and I stepped away from Dick and doubled over And knelt down on the ground gripping my stomach.

"Phoenix are you alright?" Kaldur radioed as I put pressure on my stomach.

I glanced to the balcony and Jason and Kaldur were jumping over the railing and running toward us.

"Hey are you alright?" Dick asked kneeling down in front of me.

"It's contractions." I said.

Dick picked me up bridal style as Jason and Kaldur came over to us.

"Are you alright?" Jason asked.

"Dick can you take me to our room."

"Are you sure?" He asked.

I nodded. I felt liquid roll down between my legs,"My water broke." I said.

"I know" Dick Said in a bit of distress.

Dick ran to the garage. He opened the door to his car and put me in the passenger seat. I looked in the backseat and he already had the car seat and hospital bag in the car. He opened the garage and put the car in reverse. He backed out and sped down the drive way. 

Sirens went off behind us. I doubled over and moaned.

"Are you alright Maria?" Dick asked.

"It hurts." I said as Dick pulled over.

The officer came to the window as Dick rolled his window down, and took his badge out.

"Hey Collins," Dick Said recognizing the officer.

"Where's are you going at 80 miles an hour?" The officer asked.

"My wife's in labor I'm trying to get her to the hospital." Dick said. I grabbed his arm and let out a moan.