Chapter 55

Maria pov
I was taking a shower, when I noticed a large mass on my breast. It wasn't supposed to be there.
"Hey Dick can you come here?" I called. I wanted a second opinion on the mass.
"Hey what do you need?" He asked. He was getting the boys ready for school.
"Come feel this mass," I said as I waved him over. I showed him where it was and he looked concerned.
"That's not supposed to be there." He said.
"Exactly, I'll Call my doctor and call for an appointment." I said.

I finished my shower and got ready for work. I called my doctor on the way to work. she said she's see me after hours.

I put my Zodiac suit on, and left with Dick. M'gann and Connor were watching our kids. We didn't tell them what we were doing.

I shot my arrow and ziplined to the window of my doctor's office. Dick followed me. We grabbed onto the ledge and held on till my doctor opened the window.
"So what brings you two to my office?" She asked.
"This morning I noticed a mass on my breast that wasn't supposed to be there." I said.
"Alright, let me take a look at it." She said. I unlaced the top part of my suit and she gave me an examination.
"There is definitely a mass there. Have you had any trouble breastfeeding?" She asked.
"Yes, Sage doesn't like my milk, we've been giving her formula since she's been out of the incubator." I said.
"Well let's get you a mammogram. Come in tomorrow morning, I'll open up a space and email you the time." My doctor said.
"Thank you," I said as I laced my suit up.

•••

Dick and I sat in the doctor's office waiting for the doctor to come back with the results of my mammogram.
"You're going to be fine." Dick Said. "you're gonna fight what ever this is. I know you can."
"I jeopardized a mission because I fainted. I'm not okay." I said. After our appointment last night we got called to a mission and during it I fainted.

The doctor came in and I sat up. "Well I've got bad news." The doctor said. "You do in fact have breast cancer. We'd like to start you in chemo to try to shrink the tumors. But If they don't shrink we'll have to remove your breasts." The doctor said. I started crying. Dick put his hand on my back.
"How long will the process take?" He asked.
"We'll do 8 weeks of Chemo then revaluate." The doctor said. I looked up at her.
"Will I be able to work?" I asked.
"That depends on what you do,"
"I'm a photojournalist." I said.
"I'd plan to take days off. So I'd suggest you tell your boss and Coworkers soon." The doctor said.

After we left Dick took me to our apartment in Blüdhaven. Justice attempted a surprise attack but Dick caught him.
"Justice let's not do this now." Dick Said as he put Justice down.
Big Wally walked out of Sage's room with her in his arms. Lil' Wally was holding on to his leg, he was wearing the Kidflash costume big Wally had bought for him.
"So what's the results?" He asked. I went over to the couch and sat down. Justice came over and sat next to me.
"I have Cancer." I said.
"What?" Wally asked.
"Stage 3 breast cancer." Dick said as he took Sage.
"I'm so sorry, Maria." Wally came over and hugged me.
"I'm going to have to quite the league." I said.
"I'll request a hearing with the League so you can formally leave the league." Dick said.
"Thank you, Justice take your siblings into Sage's room. The adults need to talk alone." I said.
Justice took Sage and carried her to her room, lil' Wally followed. I started crying. Dick came over to me. And hugged me.
"What are you going to do?" Wally asked.
"Chemo starts next week. And after eight weeks of of Chemo, they'll re-evaluate." I said. "If it hasn't gone down I'll have to have surgery." I said.

We talked for a while before Wally had to leave.
"I'm gonna go take a nap." I said as I got up.
"Alright I'll wake you when it's time for dinner." Dick kissed my head then I went to our room and slept.

The next day I went to work. I went and sat at my desk and stared for a good ten minutes before Calvin, my new partner, snapped me out of it.
"What's wrong Grayson?" He asked.
"I went to the doctor yesterday and I got bad news." I said.
"Mind if I ask what?" He asked.
"I've got breast cancer." I said.
"Your kidding?" He asked.
"Why would I kid about cancer?" I asked.
"I'm so sorry." He said as he put his hand on my shoulder.

I got up and went to my boss's office. I knocked and she waved me in.
"What can I do for you Anastasia?" She asked.
"Um I need to take a lot of time off." I said.
"But you just started."
"I know but I went to the doctor yesterday and found out I have cancer." I said. She stood up and came over to me.
"I'm so sorry." She said.
"You can take as much time off as you need off. And here's an idea. Your Resume says you have a degree in journalism along with photojournalism. We could continue to pay you while you go through chemo if you write articles about the process and your experience." she said.
"I'll try. But I've heard I'll be ill for a while." I Said.
My boss went over to her desk, "Büdhaven Chronicles will pay you 5 dollars a sentence per article you write." She said.
"Thank you." I said.
"If you need to go home today, you can." My boss said.
"I'm going to work till my Chemo session next Monday, I can work half of Friday, because my husband and I have to go talk with the doctor about my treatment." I said.
"Alright, just let me know before hand." My boss said.
"Thank you." I said then went back to my desk.

_______________________
A/n: I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. And if you're in the path of Tropical Storm Alberto I hope you will be safe. But if you live in Florida, like I do. We know how to handle tropical storms. I'm pretty sure Floridians don't even care anymore. I mean I'm literally at the beach, the shore is literally twenty yards from our house.
-Zodiac