03: more talent.

"all the kids here?" asked mr byun, clapping his hands to get everyone's attention. he pushed his specs up his nose and looked at the small crowd of students and staff.

"anyone who's not here's getting cut," mr park remarked, raising an eyebrow.

a chill ran down donghyuck's spine as he realised that he wouldn't have even been at the meeting if not for bumping into mark.

"i'm joking," mr park said, though he remained serious and imposing as he stood higher than all of the students, arms crossed over his chest.

"he's not joking," said mr byun. "anyway," he added, "good to see all of you. don't be disappointed if you got stuck as a chorus member this time round, we picked all of you because your singing ability will make all the songs sound freaking amazing, okay?"

donghyuck shifted where he stood, glancing around at the other cast members. mark was standing by the drama teacher/tech guy, mr... something - donghyuck couldn't remember. most people just called the thai technician simply chittaphon, though. the handful of students with him were stagehands, including renjun who had quickly ran after donghyuck upon finding out about the meeting.

"and we have a fantastic backstage crew this year," mr byun said with a grin, "managed by our ledgendary technician,  chittaphon - i mean, mr lee. we have a brilliant set of dancers lined up, too; you'll meet mr dong tomorrow afternoon for the first dance rehearsal with him. mr choi is head of wardrobe, who will provide fabulous costumes for you all, i will be teaching the vocal classes along with my favourite intern taeil, and mr do will offer acting classes to any speaking parts. i think that's all?"

he looked to mr park, who nodded.

"right, then. i'm pleased to introduce you our lead male, lee donghyuck, who has shown dedication to the drama department since freshman year and will be playing the part of chen this year..."

there was a smattering of applause as donghyuck gave a grandiose bow.

"...with chani as chen's understudy. we have seungyeon as the female lead, luna, and kyla as luna's understudy. the understudy parts are very important, as we cannot risk not having an actor who is fully equipped for the role if the lead cannot perform."

donghyuck scoffed. there was no way he'd ever let someone else go onstage instead of him. even if he died he'd probably find some way to return from the dead and sing as chen.

"right, now that's over," mr byun huffed. donghyuck had gotten bored and not even realised he'd been automatically applauding each main cast member as they had been introduced. "i'd be here all day if there were more principal cast, honestly. anyway! the rehearsal timetable is on the notice board, the school website and will be emailed to you all, but will be subject to change - but we'll keep you posted on social media as to any changes."

"follow the sns page for updates on the musical!" a small girl piped up, who had her laptop balanced in one hand as she took notes on the meeting.

"yes, umji is our social secretary this year," mr byun agreed, "make sure to follow the social media for information."

"search the hashtag for 'universe musical' and you'll find it," umji added.

"since universe is a fairly new musical, it's a great opportunity to make it more known, and to credit your teacher kim junmyeon who wrote the musical and has since left our school to put it onstage. plus, it's a great musical! alright, i can see i'm boring you," mr byun chuckled. "clear off, then! first rehearsal is after school, principal cast needed only. alright, kids? thanks!"

the students began talking amongst themselves as they started filing out of the theatre.

"hey, donghyuck, right?" said seungyeon, the cute girl who had scored the part of luna.

"yep," he said with a grin.

"good job on getting chen," she told him, smiling. "your audition must have been amazing."

donghyuck shrugged but smirked in response.

"see you at the rehearsal later," she chirped, finding her friend kyla and heading off.

the peachy-haired boy dropped his smile and glanced around at those who remained in the theatre. renjun and another student were discussing something with chittaphon, and mr choi was asking mr byun about the costumes. donghyuck turned around only to bump into mark again.

the small boy tutted and walked off, leaving donghyuck feeling irritated.

"hey," said renjun, running up to his friend. "there's still some of lunch left."

"not pissed anymore?" donghyuck teased.

"just stop being an ass and i'll be civil," he scoffed. the two went towards the canteen in search of jeno and jaemin. "we'll have to postpone the pizza," he mused. "since you have a rehearsal to go to."

"don't get it without me!" he whined.

"calm your tits," renjun muttered. "the rehearsal's, what? an hour? come to jaemin's after that."

"you guys had better not eat the pizza before i get there," donghyuck grumbled.

"nah, you'll turn up and it'll all be gone," renjun joked.

"bitch!" donghyuck uttered, placing a hand on his chest in mock hurt.

"what was the meeting about, theater boy?" jeno asked as they reached their usual table.

"oh, i don't know," jaemin deadpanned, "maybe about the musical?"

"don't be a smartass," donghyuck snapped, sitting down across from him. "and it was just telling us when the rehearsals are and shit, mr byun just introduced all the teachers involved and the main cast."

"are you gonna be dancing?" jaemin asked with a smirk.

"it's a musical, bitch."

"just asking," jaemin chuckled holding both hands up. "okay, but," he added a moment later, "will you be wearing a leotard?"

donghyuck lunged across the table to smack jaemin over the head.

"stop hurting me," jaemin whined.

"then stop giving me shit for having more talent than you!" donghyuck whined, sitting back down.

"more talent?" jaemin repeated. "are you saying i have no talent? i have talent!"

"in what? and soccer doesn't count, we're all good at it."

"dissing donghyuck," renjun piped up.

donghyuck groaned.

"see!" said jaemin. "i knew that would count for something, headass."

__________________________

i'm enjoying this :)))

i'm still writing my other books though, i'll be updating the rest this week for you

fave nct ships?

ship any notps??

taellipses out x