69: flirting on the job.

"well, hello," donghyuck drawled as the window wound down, a smirk on his face.

"shut up, hyuck," jaemin remarked.

"hey, daehwi," mark said, leaning forward to throw daehwi a smile from behind donghyuck.

"hi, daehwi!" renjun said cheerfully, his demeanour much contradicting his all-black attire. jeno grinned and gave a wave, dressed in a black hoodie and black denim jacket from what daehwi could see.

"hey, guys," he replied, smiling.

"alright, get in the car, losers, we're on a mission here," said donghyuck, rolling the window back up.

jeno reached over to open the back passenger door and jaemin went to get in, but glanced back at daehwi.

"it's fine, you get in first," he told him, so jaemin did.

"who's sitting in whose lap?" renjun asked, ready to shift onto jeno's lap to free up another seat, but daehwi climbed in and sat on jaemin. "oh, well, that's sorted, then," he said with a grin.

"are you guys comfy back there?" donghyuck asked, twisting round in his seat to raise an eyebrow at them.

jaemin reached forward and tugged donghyuck's black beanie down over his eyes to shut him up. daehwi stifled a giggle as he reached to pull the seatbelt across him, jaemin clicking it into place. jaemin didn't know what to do with his hands when he had a warm daehwi sitting on his lap but the honey-haired boy just took his hands and held onto them, jaemin's arms around his waist.

donghyuck was complaining to mark as the older started the car (he had parked at the end of the street and jaemin and daehwi had been lucky to only run into jaemin's dad on the way out of the house, who had let them go without a problem) and renjun was cuddled into jeno's side, talking his ear off about a certain type of paint. jeno was smiling contentedly however, happy to listen to renjun's chatter. jaemin rested his chin on daehwi's shoulder and prepared to spend the rest of the car ride in comfortably silence.

but daehwi felt the need to ask, "are you okay?"

jaemin stiffened. "what do you mean?" he asked in a tiny voice.

"i mean, with your mom," daehwi replied in a hushed tone, shifting around a little to meet jaemin's gaze. "and, like, everything at home. you don't have to answer," he added quickly, not wanting to pressure him.

jaemin shook his head. "it's alright, daehwi. mom and dad got back from the business trip and it was like nothing had changed. except for mom screaming at jaehyun-hyung more than usual."

"because he came out?" daehwi asked quietly.

"yeah, she thinks lecturing him will make him change," jaemin scoffed. "and i overheard her talking to some woman about setting hyung up with her daughter. jaehyun-hyung is gonna flip shit when he hears that."

"is your hyung okay?"

jaemin sighed. "he's unpredictable."

"he seemed okay earlier," he suggested, but jaemin shook his head, hiding his face in daehwi's shoulder.

"that was him on a good day," he said. "he's so moody... he's not himself."

"pretty sure your hyung only survives by practically living at my house," donghyuck remarked, twisting around in his seat to look at his friend. he grinned, adding, "you two are so cute." he shrugged. "hope jaehyun-hyung is okay."

"yeah, me, too," jaemin mumbled, and daehwi gave his hand a squeeze.

"doyoung-hyung will make sure he's okay," donghyuck said, "don't worry, jae."