07. dance nostalgia.

"hey," said yeri, nudging mark's shoulder.

"what?"

"where were you lunch?"

"...theatre."

"testing lights again?" minhyuk questioned, wrinkling his nose. "how many times can one test a light?"

"uh, yeah," mark muttered, frowning, "light-testing."

yeri looked at him but said nothing.

"min?" chan asked with a pout, "i'm really stuck."

"god, let me do it for you," minhyuk sighed, grabbing chan's book off him and scribbling down some answers.

"did you get three over four for the last question?" yeri questioned.

"as if anyone's done the last question," mark scoffed.

"kidding," she said, rolling her eyes. "i meant for the second one."

"uh... yeah," mark confirmed.

"you seem distracted," she sing-songed.

"yeri, please," he groaned. mark couldn't get never enough out of his head. he might hate donghyuck... but his voice was like a fucking angel. no, even better than that. so irritatingly good. his technique, his emotion-

"mark," yeri snapped.

he nearly jumped out of his seat. "god, what!?"

"zoning out again," she tutted.

"what is it, yeri?"

"help me with question three?" she asked cutely.

mark groaned and buried his his head in his arms, donghyuck's moving performance still replaying in his head.

***

out on the pitch, a tall chinese boy with blond streaks in his dark hair stood in his soccer uniform, hands on hips.

"jaemin, jeno, renjun," he greeted the three juniors as they jogged out onto the pitch to warm up. "jisung, ey! glad you could make it, my star striker," he said with a wink.

the gray-haired freshman smiled awkwardly. "yukhei-hyung."

coach kim (who insisted that the team called him 'heechul') walked out onto the pitch, eyed up yukhei before standing next to him, arms folded.

"been back at the gym?"

"yes, coach."

"i can tell, keep at it," coach kim told him. his phone buzzed with a call, and he picked up. "haknyeon, what do you mean you're 'stuck in the toilet, i swear to god... yukhei, get them to behave, please," coach added to the team captain.

"yes, coach," yukhei responded as heechul headed off to unlock a toilet cubicle. "yo!" he yelled, causing jaemin and jeno's hand-slapping game to stop and several other team members to cease their running around. "start stretching and no more mucking about or you'll be giving me ten laps."

"oh my god," renjun muttered, following the captain's instructions immediately. as everyone warmed up, yukhei wandered around, finding the three juniors that were usually four.

"are we missing someone?" he asked idly.

jaemin exchanged a glance with the other two.