34: meant to be.

"hey, ren-ren," jeno said softly as he entered the art room, setting down his bag and walking over to where renjun was sitting on the floor.

"hi, je," renjun sighed, removing his paintbrush from the canvas and washing the yellow paint off.

"is this for the musical?" the black haired boy asked, sitting close to renjun so that their knees touched.

the chinese boy shook his head. "just for fun," he murmured, tilting his head to look at the painting. a field of flowers was taking place in acrylics, with green grass and blue sky. "i don't think i like it," he mused, fiddling with the paintbrush.

jeno gently took the brush from renjun's hands, setting it on the floor and holding the smaller's hands tightly. he ran his thumbs over renjun's knuckles, looking at him. the chinese boy blushed and looked down.

"i think it's beautiful, ren-ren," he told him, taking one of his hands and tucking a stray lock of fringe behind renjun's ear.

"thanks, no-no," he whispered. he glanced towards the door before leaning in to kiss jeno.

the black-haired boy, initially taken by surprise, kissed back sweetly as renjun wrapped his arms around jeno's neck.

"i miss it being just us two," renjun admitted between kisses.

"me, too, ren-ren," jeno said, hugging him closer. "i just really... want to be with you."

"what about jaemin?" renjun said suddenly.

"what do you mean? he's got this thing going with nancy," he remarked. "he spent practically all of age of ultron on his phone."

"really?" renjun said quietly, brushing his fingers through the back of jeno's hair. "you said it was fun," he added defensively.

"yeah, in front of jaemin," he scoffed. "but you weren't there," he said softly, cradling the side of renjun's face.

renjun leaned into the touch, closing his eyes. "i kind of made up with hyuck on friday," he mumbled.

"what, really?" jeno uttered, making renjun open his eyes. "what did he say?"

"only that... he hasn't completely deserted us, je, so it's alright for now," he said with a sad smile.

"it's because of whatever's got between him and jaemin that we're stuck in the middle, ren," he replied with a sigh. "it's not fun, though."

renjun shook his head in agreement. "jaemin's been so... off lately."

"since he and hyuck got in a fight," jeno agreed. he sighed, letting his head fall onto renjun's shoulder.

renjun froze. "what if someone comes?" he breathed.

jeno chuckled, sending vibrations through renjun's chest. "you kissed me first," he reminded him, lifting his head to grin at renjun.

"shut up," he huffed, hitting jeno's shoulder.

jeno giggled, prompting renjun to join in.

"ren-ren," he cooed, hugging the boy.

"mm?"

"nothing," said jeno, smiling against renjun's shoulder. he was just glad he had him.

***

"mark-hyung?" donghyuck called in such a sickly-sweet tone that mark wanted to keep walking in his present direction, away from the boy.

but of course he turned round to look at donghyuck, who was smiling at him.

"...yes?" he asked awkwardly.