61: what i wrote...

jaehyun reads his letter

"jae," doyoung whined over the phone, "come over."

jaehyun sighed, running a hand through his hair. jaemin's letter lay open on the coffee table, and jaehyun was waiting for his little brother to come home.

"doyoung..."

"wait. what happened?" doyoung demanded, noting how deflated jaehyun sounded.

jaehyun licked his lips. "i just think jaemin needs me right now. i'm waiting for him to come back home... i don't want to have to go out and find him myself."

"in this weather?" doyoung asked incredulously. there was a rustle as the lanky boy got up from the sofa and rushed to the window, peering out at the snow.

"look, i'll call you back, alright," jaehyun said tensely, hanging up on his almost-boyfriend. neither of them had asked the question yet, but jaehyun's mind was far from that at present.

the two hadn't even mentioned the need for a label, just spending a whole day in each other's arms, talking and laughing and exchanging kisses. it had honestly been perfect. but it had to end at some point, when jaehyun felt he'd spent too long away from his brother.

and now jaehyun was worried.

he couldn't decide whether jaemin's letter should cause him alarm.

there were no clear signs that it was a goodbye note, it was more like an apology. but jaehyun could pick out things that he was desperate to ask his little brother about.

he threw his phone down on the bed and picked up the letter again, reading it over for perhaps the seventh time.

dear jaehyun-hyung,

i need to say sorry. i was a brat, and was horrible to you when you were trying to help.

i'm sorry for refusing to spend time with you, refusing to talk. i didn't want to admit that i needed your help, even when you were probably the person i needed help from most.

i can't believe you came out to me and our parents like that. i didn't see it coming, it's something that never crossed my mind, for some reason. you were always mom's angel, perfect in her eyes, even when you defied her after high school.

i didn't expect it, but it's honestly the bravest thing i have ever seen. and i'm proud to call you my hyung.

i want my hyung back... i remember when we were kids and i could talk to you about anything, i thought you were so cool. but now i think i need you even more, because you of all people can understand me. i want to fix things between us, hyung.

please forgive me.

your little brother,

jaemin.

jaehyun sighed heavily, running his hands through his hair again, the piece of paper fluttering onto the mattress.

"of course i forgive you, jaemin," he mumbled. "what is it that you think i would understand? what's really going on with you?" he let out a groan, flopping onto his back. "where are you, jae?"