47: first snow.

"how was it?" donghyuck demanded as mark left the exam hall, ashen faced.

mark just shook his head and trudged towards his locker, systematically unlocking and opening it.

"hey," the peachy-haired boy said abruptly, grabbing the locker door. "it's over now. you've finished your winter finals."

the older gave a quiet groan, sweeping the contents of his locker into his bag.

donghyuck blinked at him, took the rucksack from mark's hands and put it on his own back. "let's get ice cream?"

"ice cream?" mark repeated.

"sure," donghyuck said with a grin, poking mark's nose, "you kinda deserve it after the week you had."

mark stared at him, the two feeling like they were the only people left on earth even as students walked past them in the corridor.

"are you being... nice?"

"bitch," donghyuck complained, nudging mark's shoulder, "haven't i ever been nice to you? i bought you milkshakes, i give you snacks, i cuddle you when you cry over musicals-"

"okay, okay," mark uttered, realising people could probably overhear donghyuck at this point. "i'm kidding. i can carry my own book bag-"

"shut up and let's get ice cream," he cut him off, throwing an arm about his shoulders and walking down the corridor.

"shall we see if any of the others are still at the theatre?" mark piped up, shoving his hands in his coat pockets.

donghyuck held him closer to his side as they walked. "sure," he chirped, "they might still be there, although i'm sure sanha and yehana would be gone by now. as well as xiyeon and kyla..."

mark looked up at him. "is she still not speaking to you?" he asked carefully.

donghyuck gave a heavy sigh. "it's because of the whole thing with jaemin," he grumbled, "because i ignored her when she said jaemin was in trouble."

"at the party?"

the peachy-haired boy nodded sullenly.

"well, jaemin isn't your responsibility," mark considered. "renjun and jeno were there, right? jaemin went to that party responsible for himself."

"exactly," donghyuck huffed, but still felt guilty. "i'm just... glad nothing bad happened to him. someone helped him."

"mm, i wonder who," mark mused. "hey," he added, nudging donghyuck's side when he noticed the boy's worried expression, "it wasn't your fault, hyuck. you're responsible for yourself. it's not like you were even at the party that night, anyway."

"i guess," donghyuck sighed, smiling at mark, "but i'm responsible for another person now, too."

"oh?"

"you, you dumbass," donghyuck laughed, "i have to make sure you don't get into any trouble, hyung."

mark scoffed, looking away in attempt to hide his blush.

"i can look after myself," he muttered.

"doesn't mean i don't still want to look after you, mark-hyung," donghyuck pointed out.

the older's heart felt like it might pound right out of his chest and it was a relief when the two reached the theatre building.

"anyone home?" donghyuck yelled, his voice echoing.

"donghyuck?"

mark and donghyuck looked around for the source of the voice. the stage lights were low as a small figure stood up from the sofa that still sat centre stage.