eighty-eight.

| laura's pov |

"i-i'm so-so sorry." i sob into ross' chest. ross was upset, he was comforting me while i broke down. all i wanted was for my dad to accept ross, but he was too hung up on jason.

"shhh baby. you don't have to cry. everything's going to be alright. your dad will warm up to me." he says softly running his fingers through my hair.

"n-no." i cry. "he won't. i know my dad."

"can i talk to him?" ross sighs. "i hate seeing you so upset. he has no reason to dislike me. i want to talk to him."

i sniffle, but look into ross' eyes full of sympathy. "you can try."

"i'll be back." he whispers, pressing his lips against my forehead. i nuzzle up into my pillow, and wait until i hear ross fully downstairs. i then sneak out of the bedroom and listen carefully over the ledge, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"mr. marano?" ross asks. "can we speak in private for a few moments?"

i hear my dad sigh. but then i hear shuffling. the noise sounded closer than before. "what did you want to talk about?" my dad asks.

"laura." ross replies. "she's upset."

"what did you do?" my dad asks. really?

"sorry to say this sir. but the blame isn't mine." ross sighs. "laura loves you, sir. and i know you love her. i'm aware that you had a strong liking for her ex-boyfriend, and i'm not here to compete. but i know that laura only wants you to respect her decision, and accept that she's with me. i don't see the issue with doing so, considering i haven't done anything to hurt her, or you."

i liked ross' words, so i patiently waited to hear my dad's reply.

"look, ross. i appreciate the talk. but i have nothing to say. laura is my daughter and i'll deal with her behaviour if it's my fault. i'm allowed to like and dislike whoever i please, and to be fair. i haven't made up my mind with you yet." my dad explains.

"all i care about right now is laura." ross says. "and she's really upset with what you two talked about."

"she will be over it by sunrise." my dad says sternly. "and between you and i. i will give you a chance to prove that you are worthy for my daughter. now go on."

the conversation ended there, and i heard ross coming back up the stairs. i quickly jumped into the bed and pretended as if i was asleep. ross walks in and shuts the door.

"haha very funny. i knew you were there the whole time." he chuckles. i smirk.

"so he's giving you a chance?" i grin.

"so he says." ross shrugs.