5

Janet

When I woke up, I did not want to move at all, what so ever.

What the hell was I thinking?

Why did I try to kiss her?

It was 2 days ago, and we had been walking on eggshells around each other.

I had to get up, Gil needed me to meet with him about the court date they had set for Bethany.

So here I was, standing in the kitchen sipping on coffee out of the coffee mug.

I had no idea where Bethany was, I hadn't looked for her like I had done two mornings ago.

It seemed like my thoughts had brought her up because she came into the kitchen and leaned on the wall across from me.

"Can I say something?" She asked me softly.

I mumbled her a response. "Feel free."

"So how long are we going to walk around this house ignoring each other?" Bethany asked me as I took another sip from my coffee mug.

I shrugged as I turned around and sat the coffee cup down. "Not ignoring you."

When I faced her, she had a look of annoyance on her face. "Well you haven't exactly been talking to me either JJ."

"We have to go meet Gil today, to find out your court date." I announced to her.

Bethany rolled her eyes. "Okay. Whatever. That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about me and you."

I avoided the topic. "So go get dressed. We'll leave in like 15."

"I am dressed. Which makes me know that you aren't paying attention to me at all." Bethany told me.

Sighing, I turned away and tried to walk out the kitchen. Bethany beat me to the exit and stood in front of me.

"Can you stop running away from me please?" She asked me.

Bethany was making it really hard not to think about the kiss and I didn't like it at all. "Bethany can you move?"

She shook her head. "Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because you haven't called me Beth in so long it's scary. Which lets me know that you are feeling some type of way." She concluded.

I fell to no response.

"I panicked." Bethany spoke as I went around her. My feet stopped as she continued. "I panicked because yeah sure, I wanted to kiss you, but still it didn't mean that I'm not toxic."

I turned around and faced her. "You aren't toxic."

Bethany shook her head as she scoffed. "Janet all bullshit aside. In a few weeks I could be telling a officer what size I wear so I can get my orange jumpsuit."

"I'm not going to let you go to jail Beth."

"That's besides the point right now Janet. Consider your options! I don't know where the hell my life is going. Either jail or a casket." She explained, I didn't have a response and I let my eyes drop to the floor.