33

Kids Chapter 🤪

Nadia

My heart broke as they drove my brother away in that police car

I looked down as my phone rang.

It was Trey.

I declined it and headed towards my room. He was the reason this was happening, he was the reason that I hated myself, the reason my brother was being sent to jail.

When I went to close my door, my mother opened it back before it shut. "Talk."

Tears shot to the brims of my eyes as I shook my head and kept my back turned to her. "Don't have anything to talk about."

"Nadia Alexis Taylor, I know you. Whatever's on your mind, you need to talk about it."

My mother wasn't helping anything. "Momma please, I just want to sleep."

"Dia—."

"Momma please, just let me sleep." My phone rang again and it was Trey. I simply placed my phone on my bed on its face.

"Okay you're making me do this. You haven't talked about Trey for the past 4 days. Zeek? First time hearing his name come out of your mouth and not Ken's. You mouthed the words 'I'm sorry' to your brother. What are you sorry about?"

I hated this about my mom.

How it was that easy for her to read into me, yet so hard for her to get the little details that I refused to give. Still, most times I gave her the little details but this one was something hard for me.

"Him getting arrested."

"We're all sorry. Princess—."

"Please don't call me that." I cut her off roughly.

I let my body fall onto my bed as I let my tears soak into my pillow. Looking at her slightly I saw that she was taking off her shoes.

She laid behind me as she wrapped her arms around me. "You gotta talk. Whatever it is, I can take it. I can handle it. Just lay it on me."

Gripping my mothers arm, I spoke slowly. "Please promise me you won't hate me."

"I'll never hate you Nadia, for heavens sake, I'm your mother." When my mom said my name like that, I knew she was telling the truth.

"Last night, I snuck out with Trey. He told me that they were having a party at his friends house and that it would be fun. So I went. I told Kendrick I was going to be back and to watch for me. He told me okay and I turned off the alarm and went out the front door." I let out and didn't look back at my mother face.

My momma shifted slightly. "Okay."

"The party had a lot of people in it and after a while I was ready to go. I had drunk something that Trey told me was juice and it made my stomach hurt. He wouldn't walk me back because he said he wanted to stay, but finally I argued him down and he walked me. We got by the park and he— he um—." I stopped talking as I began crying harder.