36

Janet

My phone ringing woke me up and I looked at it and saw that it was Tika calling me

I looked over at Beth who hadn't stirred from my phones vibrating. It was 5 in the morning. What did she want?!

I got out of the bed and answered the phone as I walked out of our bedroom and down the stairs.

"Hello?"

"Janet." Tika sounded as if she was crying. "I need to talk to you."

"Tika what's wrong?"

"Please can you come over? I need to talk to you." She was practically begging me.

"Tika, it's late and Bethany will kill me."

"Janet I wouldn't be asking if I just didn't need to talk. Please."

I sighed as I thought it over. "Fine, same place?"

"Yeah."

"Give me 15." I told her as I hung up and paced my living room.

Nothing would happen. I would be back before Bethany woke up and everything would be alright.

We had just got on good terms and I didn't want to mess that up, but Tika knew she had a soft spot in my heart.

Making my decision, I walked up the stairs quietly and walked into our bedroom. Beth was still sleep and I went into my draw and pulled out a pair of my sweats.

I threw them on and headed out the door as I grabbed my keys off the kitchen bar.

Getting in my car, I started it and drove to Tikas place.

When I made it there, I saw all lights were on in the house. I checked my phone to see if Beth had texted me, she hadn't.

No lie, I was nervous. More so scared, but definitely nervous.

Getting out the car, I didn't even have to knock because Tika was already at the door.

She opened it and pulled me into a hug as she busted into tears.

"Tika whats wrong?" I asked as I hugged her back. She didn't reply and I asked more urgently. "Tika, what happened?"

"The baby's dead Janet." Tika mumbled softly as she let go of the embrace we shared.

My eyes swiped over her face, and I knew that she was serious. "What happened?"

Tika turned away from me and walked towards her kitchen as she responded. "James is what happened."

I closed her door quickly as I followed her to the kitchen. "What do you mean James happened?"

"He was fighting some man shit face drunk, and when I broke it up he hit my stomach on accident. Next thing I knew, I was bleeding out at work." Her voice was broken and I knew that she wasn't dealing with this one well. "This was my one chance of raising a life again. I was going to start new. Fresh."