10

Beth

The eeriness in the air sat inside of me

"I don't wanna be here." I told Janet as we sat in the silent car.

Janet sighed. "I promise I will take you to your mothers when we're finished, but you can't skip court Beth."

"Why not?" I questioned her. "Why not? My daughter is who knows where with who knows who. Why should I give a damn about a dumb ass murder charge?"

"Because, when we find Nadia she is going to want to spend time with her mother. She doesn't need you on your way to the next prison. Come on Beth, let's go fight this charge."

I got out the car and we began walking into the court house.

"Janet." I called out to her.

She looked at me. "Hm?"

"I'm not happy." I admitted as tears shot to my eyes.

Janet grabbed my hand and pulled me into the restroom. "Hey, I know. I know you aren't happy, so we are going to kill two birds with one stone. We are going to get in there and beat this case. Plus I have a little plan and it's going to work."

I looked into her eyes as I wiped a tear. I nodded. "What's the plan?"

"Philip and I both agreed that we needed a change of venue. Instead of a jury deciding your faith, we are going to let a judge. Basically like a hearing. It's going to be okay, I promise."

As I took a deep breath Janet motioned me to follow her. We walked into the courtroom and sat in the chairs.

"All Rise for the honorable Judge Hill."

Everyone stood up until the Judge told us to be seated.

It was something different because our old Judge's name was not Hill, but with the way I was feeling, I had yet to look up.

"Prosecution, I've read up on this case and caught myself up on the terms of this immensely. So can you please call your witness up to the stand please?"

My eyes found Philips as he glared at us. "Uh your Honor, she did not show up."

The doors to the courtroom opened and everyone looked back and in walked Gil.

He shot a look at Janet and she spoke. "Judge Hill, may I have a moment?"

Judge Hill allowed it. "Make it quick, Jackson."