31

Janet

I followed behind Beth's car to the house

Jamie was just going to have to wait, my girlfriend came before work. It was just simple in my book.

When we pulled up, we parked besides each other and walked into the house.

She went and sat on the couch and hugged her knees to her chest. I sat next to her and we sat in silence for a second before she spoke.

"I'm scared." Beth admitted. "I'm scared that if you know about my past, you'll look at me different. That maybe you won't love me anymore, so I lie. I know it's not an excuse, but it's really truly my reasoning."

"I wouldn't look at you different. I didn't just get into a relationship to see you happy all the time. I'm not here for only the good times baby." I turned her head so she could look at me. "I'm here for all of you."

"We haven't even told each other the truth before. We don't know about each other's parents or—."

I cut her off. "Well let's talk about it. Right now. Everything that we never got to talk about in the past, let's talk now. How did you grow up Beth?"

"My father was in a psych ward all my life. He tried to kill himself with my sister and I in the car. My mother was— different I guess. She was out of touch with the world, a woman who had a bad case of PTSD that used drugs to cope with it. I suffered through all of my middle and high school years and then I got pregnant."

"I?" I questioned. "Your sister didn't suffer?"

Beth scoffed. "That girl was barely home, but when she was she was always happy. Not even momma could make that smile of hers fall. When she was 17 and I was 15, she moved in with her boyfriend."

"So y'all don't talk?"

"I wish I could." Beth told me lowly. "My mother told me she overdosed on heroine when I was 18. Nadia never even got to meet her aunt."

I wiped some tears that had fallen from my girlfriends eyes. "I'm so sorry baby."

Bethany shook her head. "It's okay, I've dealt with it surprisingly. I was um 16 when I got pregnant. My mom found out and kicked me out of the house, she said it was the principality of the matter and that I needed to learn my lesson. I moved in with Tommy and his dad. That's how I got in the game. Your go."

"My real parents were abusive, asshole control freaks. One day my father beat me so bad, he bruised one of my ribs, and didn't realize it. Thankfully, I went to school in the 3rd grade and my teacher noticed I was limping. She saw it and CPS was called. I was adopted into another family."

She looked at me. "You told me your parents had died."

"I did." I nodded slowly. "It's honestly just a lot of pain in my birthparents that I choose not to tell people. So instead I just say they're dead, and technically they are dead. To me."