12

Bethany

My eyes glanced at the box that was in the passenger seat. It had been 2 days and I had yet to open it again.

I was on my way to the courthouse.

For the simple fact that, I had to talk to Judy.

Janet was at work, leaving me bored out of my mind and Nadia was at school.

Once I got there I parked and got out the car and walked into the courthouse.

People looked at me, I'm guessing most recognizing me from the news or headlines in the newspaper.

Hell, maybe some were wondering why I was carrying a box into the courthouse.

I remembered how to get there and when I got to her door I knocked.

Her voice sounded. "Come in!"

Pushing the door open, she looked up and we met eye contact. "Hey, are you busy? Can we talk?"

 "Hey, are you busy? Can we talk?"

Judy immediately nodded. "Of course, close the door. Have a seat."

Closing the door behind me, I walked and sat down in front of her desk. "About our last conversation."

She shifted in her seat before smiling. "Okay, I'm listening."

"No actually." I corrected. "That's what I am here to do. Listen I mean."

"Ask away."

"Did your verdict towards me happen because I was your daughter?" I questioned her motive.

Judy shook her head. "No, daughter or not. The law still stands. Very firmly at that. I believed that you didn't have actual intentions to killing your husband. It was merely self defense, I can relate to what happened to you more than you'd think."

I nodded as I moved on. "How did you know I was your daughter?"

"The picture I showed you. I've studied it for a while now, told God if I ever saw you I'd be able to know it was you. Then boom, there you were. Sitting right in my face, it was nothing but Christ that put you in that court room."

With me, not being so heavily rooted in my faith, I wasn't as moved by that statement as I should have been.

"Okay I guess."

Judy chuckled. "You don't go to church do you?"

I looked at her for a second. "How did you know that?"

"You can tell. When I brought up God you tensed up something bad there." She informed me.

As a reaction I let my head drop and began fiddling with my fingers. "I just wasn't raised up into church."

When I looked up, I saw her shaking her head. "You wanna know something I find funny?"

"Sure."