8

Bethany

As soon as the court dismissed, Janet took off.

I followed quickly behind.

"Janet wait, let me explain."

She kept walking and I grabbed her by her wrist and stopped her.

She yanked her hand out of my grasp. "What did I say?"

Her tone alone made tears fall down my cheeks. "I'm sorry."

"Are you kidding me?" She scoffed. "You don't tell me that? That is something I needed to know! Bethany, I don't know where you are going to go, but I can't look at you right now."

"I didn't lie!"

Janet looked at me and shook her head. "Don't you understand? That is not the fucking point! We don't know what that little girl is going to get up there and say tomorrow. She might actually tell the truth, hopefully she doesn't take after her mother."

She turned to walk away. "That's not fair JJ and you know it!"

That statement made Janet whip around and walk back towards me. "Fair? No what isn't fair is that I gave you plenty of chances to tell me the story and you didn't. What isn't fair is you came into this situation lying, to me and Gil! And what really isn't fair is that I fell for you. You are nothing but a liar Bethany."

My tears clouded my vision. "JJ don't say that please. I just didn't know how to tell you. Please, I'm sorry."

"No, Bethany I'm done. I need some time." She turned around and walked away. "And it's Janet, not JJ."

It seemed as if super glue was attached to the bottom of my shoes. I couldn't move.

I wiped my tears as she disappeared out of the doors of the courthouse.

"Momma?"

I closed my eyes as I turned around and forced a smile. "Hey my baby."

She was merely my baby father and I mixed together

She was merely my baby father and I mixed together. Got his skin tone but my hair texture. Every time I looked at the child I thought about him.

Nadia hugged me tightly as she began crying. "Momma I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's not your fault." I picked her head up and made her look at me. "It is not your fault."

"Well child, I hope you know it's not yours either." I looked up and saw my mother.

"Momma.." I mumbled out. "Why you let them bring her into this? I told you my plan Momma."

My mother looked at her feet. "The man lied Beth. Told me he was representing you. I thought you had just wanted to tell the truth, so we came. It wasn't until we got here that we realized what was happening. I would never bring my grand baby into a situation like that."