11

Janet

As we drove down the highway Bethany couldn't stop smiling

"So I'm actually seeing teeth in this smile, so I know it's a real smile." I commented as I turned the radio down.

She looked at me for a second before looking back at the road. "I feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders. Plus I know where Nadia is. My mother isn't my mother, so I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse. But hey, imma say it's a blessing right now."

I chuckled as she exited the highway. We were in the north end of town, most people call it the hood.

Never bothered me none.

She took some turns before pulling into a driveway. Bethany cut the car off. "Come on."

"Oh I can come?" I asked her.

She opened the door and got out. "Yes, you can come."

I got out the car and Bethany and I walked on the porch as she knocked on the door.

"Who is it?!" A male voice yelled through the door.

"Boy stop trynna sound hard. It's Beth." Bethany responded.

The door swung open and a man stood there. "Sister!"

"Brother!" Bethany yelled back sarcastically. "Where is my daughter?"

He scrunched up his face. "How you know she even here?"

"I didn't negro, but you just told me." Bethany responded as she shot him a look. "Ralph, this is Janet. Janet this is my play brother Ralph."

I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you."

He took my hand and kissed me. "Ah no ma'am the pleasure is all mines."

Bethany smacked his hand away from mines. "Gay! She is G-A-Y! And I've already called dibs. So stop being so thirsty Ralph!"

He shrugged. "It was worth a try."

I chuckled at him and Bethany pushed him back. "Move back. Let me get my daughter."

We walked into the house and it was nice in the inside.

Nadia was in the kitchen eating and when she saw her mom her eyes widened. "Momma I swear I was gonna go back to grandmas, she was just having one of those days."