16

Bethany

Kendrick had us exhausted from shopping plus Nadia brought things also.

Once we got to my mothers house she had made dinner. The kids had ate already and James had already went to eat with one of his coworkers.

It left me and my mom at the dinner table.

My mother broke the silence. "So not that I'm complaining on meeting my granddaughter and future grandson, but why the abrupt need to stay? Is everything alright?"

"Janet and I aren't seeing eye to eye right now. You're the only person that I knew I could come to." I responded as I ate a piece of the meatloaf.

She studied me for a second. "We're going to church tomorrow, and before you decline the offer, you are coming."

"Uh no I'm not." I denied her.

Judy chuckled. "Why not?"

"Cause God doesn't know me." I answered simply. "If he did, why did I go through all the hell I went through?"

"Cause you don't just talk to God when everything is bad and not working in your favor. You talk to God when things are good and amazing also. And if you deny God all he will do is put you through trails and strip you until you realize that you need to bow to him."

"Okay I guess."

"You're coming to church. I'll wake you up in the morning."

Finally I nodded. "Fine. What can it hurt?"

"Nothing absolutely nothing. Now tomorrow when you wake up I want you to ask 'What can it help?'."

I dropped the eye contact we had. "I don't think I have a dress that's church appropriate."

"Come as you are. Plus as long as you aren't naked, no one will judge. My church isn't like that. Now go get some rest. I can tell you're wore out from them kids."

I chuckled. "You don't want me to help you? Cause I don't mind."

"Child, go to sleep." She answered in a humorous tone. "If I needed help, I would have asked."

Pushing the chair out, I got up and nodded. "Okay fine. Night."

"Night."

Before I walked completely out the room. "Hey..."

She looked up at me as she grabbed another plate. "Yeah?"

"Thanks. I really appreciate this mom."

I hadn't realized I called her mom out loud until she smiled. "No problem at all. Your my daughter, it's the least I can do. Now go get some sleep. Seriously."

Smiling back, I turned around and went to my room. I fished for my charger out of my bag and plugged my phone up before going check on the kids.

I opened the door and they were both sleep with Nadia on one side and Kendrick on the other. Disney channel played on the television and I turned the tv off then closed the door behind me.

Walking back into my room I got under the covers and grabbed my phone.

I saw I had a message from Janet.

JJ 💞
I know we aren't talking right now because you want space, but I still wanted to say Goodnight and I'm sorry. Talk to you soon.

I sighed before texting back goodnight and sitting my phone back on the nightstand.

For a while I stared up at the ceiling.