6

Bethany

"Wake up!"

Nobody but JJ was shouting in my ear, so all I did was turn over.

"I know you're up Beth." She told me as I groaned.

I picked up the pillow that was next to me and swung it in the direction of her voice.

"Ow!" Janet exclaimed as the pillow connected somewhere that I didn't see.

My eyes were closed, and I didn't want to open them.

I put the pillow over my head.

"I will pour water on you, and no I am not kidding."

When I heard Janet get up from the bed, I pulled the pillow from off of me. "Okay Janet dang. I'm up."

She turned around and smiled. "Thank you. Morning."

I threw her a glare. "Why can't we do the things the white people do? Wake me up lightly with a modern tone or something."

"Every time I try to do that. Underline the word try, you don't wanna get up. So then I yell." Janet grabbed the covers I was under and threw them off of me.

I bit my tongue to keep from yelling at her about my covers as cold air hit my body.

Instead I got up and went to the restroom and brushed my teeth. Janet was behind me the whole time making funny faces in the mirror.

"You're a child." I told her after I had washed my face.

Janet giggled as she shrugged. "No, I'm just fun."

"Hey." I called out as I turned around and faced her. "You owe me a favor."

I leaned in and gave her a kiss.

"Hmm." She wrapped her arms around my waist. "How so?"

"I took a picture yesterday." I told her as I wrapped my arms around her neck. "So can you sing for me JJ?"

Janet frowned a little. "Beth, I don't sing anymore."

"Doesn't mean you can't sing at all."

"No, I don't sing Beth. The last time I sung was at—." She stopped all in all and tears reached her eyes. "It was at a funeral and I vowed to never do it again."

"Never sing again?" I asked for clarification.

Janet merely nodded and she went to wipe the fallen tears, but I beat her to it.

I immediately apologized. "I'm sorry JJ, I didn't know."

She sniffed and looked down. "No it's okay. Don't apologize. You didn't know." She looked up and wiped her tears before chuckling. "Sorry for crying."

"You can cry. I don't know who told you crying was a bad thing, but you don't ever have to hold in your emotions with me."

For a moment, I thought JJ was going to open up to me, but I was wrong.

She took a deep breath and that emotional wall of hers went right back up.

"Your court case is in 2 weeks."

I removed my hands from around her neck at the change of subject as I broke eye contact. "Oh."

Instead of continuing the conversation, I turned around and went back into my bedroom. Janet followed.

"Which means that I need to know what happened that night Beth. I can't defend you if I don't know what happened."

My eyes met hers as I turned to face her again. "Janet, I don't want to talk about it right now. Maybe later?"