Life's a beach and I'm just playing in the sand... maybe?

I stepped off of the airplane and immediately felt the warm breeze hit my skin. Here we were, all of us, in Punta Cana because of an emergency vacation that my dad and Jane planned. Apparently, we've all been through so much over the past couple of years and we needed a relaxing break. Everyone was included. My parents, my sister, Monty, his parents, Jessica, Justin, Gracie, Emma, David, Dallas, Jeff, the girls', and me. My dad had splurged and got us a mansion sized beach house with its own pool which apparently, is cheaper here than it would've been at home. I was actually not too thrilled with this because for some reason, I had never been fond of the idea of vacations. Maybe it was because my mom had never brought me on one growing up. I was also nervous that with all of us in one house together for a little over a week, arguments were bound to come about. "Oh girls, this is going to be so much fun." Jane smiled while running up to Marissa and me and wrapping her arms around our shoulders. Marissa wasn't happy with this arrangement either because she was still depressed, she didn't want to be around our parents nonstop for a week, and she was irritated with Jeff's presence. "Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a blast." Marissa mumbled before walking ahead of us. "What about you, baby? You gonna spend some quality time with your momma?" Jane asked me with a smile while squeezing my shoulders. I loved that Jane referred to herself as my mom now. I also referred to her as my mom and a lot of times, I actually call her mom instead of Jane. It was something that made her, my dad, and me very happy. I couldn't help but to ease up because of her obvious joy so I smiled and wrapped my arm around her shoulder as we walked. "Yeah, I'm gonna spend some quality time with my mom." She smiled even brighter at my words and I knew that I had to try to have a good time on this trip or it was going to really upset her and my dad. "Hello, family! Who all would like a drink while we bring you to your home for the next 9 days?" One of the locals greeted us with two trays of fruity mixed drinks. "The legal drinking age here is like 18 or something, right?" I asked my dad and he chuckled while he nodded his head and gestured for me to grab a drink. We all grabbed one and then Marissa snuck up behind everyone and grabbed one too, the local not even questioning it because she looked older than 16 and our parents are with us. "You don't have to sneak, honey. It's okay. We're all gonna enjoy ourselves on this trip." My dad smiled at her and ruffled her hair but she broke away from him and walked ahead of all of us again. "Oh my God, this is so good." Jessica practically drooled while sipping from her drink. "How much alcohol is in this?" Monty questioned while staring at the drink in his hand. "About two to three shots." The local explained and he nodded his head before deciding to drink the fruity mixture. "A little alcohol on this trip will be fine, Mon." Jeff assured him and Monty nodded and started sucking his drink down. "Shit, this is good." He laughed to Jess and she vigorously nodded her head with wide eyes. After hearing them praise the drink so heavily, I finally took a sip myself and was pleasantly surprised. Holy cow, this is the best thing I've ever put in my mouth. If all food and drinks tasted this good here, I was gonna have an awesome time. "Now, to get to your little private retreat, we have to take a little boat over there. Any time you all would like to go somewhere, you will just make a phone call to us and we will come and pick you up on the boat." The local explained and we all nodded in understanding while following him. "This is fucking awesome." Justin laughed with a shake of his head and we all chuckled at him. A couple of more locals came over and helped us load all of our luggage into the boat and then we all climbed in afterwards. I made a point to sit next to Marissa since I was her trapped in her own head and since I am the only person that she'll really talk to. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into me as the boat took off. "We're gonna have fun, Ris." I comforted her but she still just sat there staring at the ocean. "It's beautiful here and the weather is so nice and there's so much fun stuff to do. There's no way that you're not gonna feel better after a couple of days of being in paradise." I tried again but she just lightly shrugged her shoulders. I sighed before trying one more time with her. "Ya know, I didn't really wanna come on this trip either but... it seems like it might be really nice. We all need this, Marissa. We've all been through so much..." "You didn't kill your babies. You don't know what it feels like to suffer." She interrupted me with a mumble. She used a nasty tone, almost acting like I hadn't been through as much as her. "Are you kidding me, Marisa? I'm sorry that you're hurting, I really am. But you chose to do that after I begged you not to. I still hate that you're heart broken though and I'm trying so hard to be here for you. But don't you dare ever act like I haven't been through shit compared to you.  I grew up without parents until I was a teenager, I got pregnant at 17, I watched my boyfriend get shot and almost die, I almost died while having Savannah, my fucking best friend killed herself and Jeff and I found her bloody and lifeless body, I got pregnant again and lost my baby, my boyfriend got another girl pregnant, my boyfriend got involved in an illegal fight club, then after I got engaged, he got strung out on drugs and had to go to jail and rehab, and then whenever life was finally starting to go smoothly, I got in a car wreck and almost died and lost my ability to have any more kids. Don't you fucking dare ever say some shit like that to me again." I snapped loudly, causing everyone to look at us. Marissa huffed and turned her attention completely towards the ocean and I jumped up and stomped off. "Girls, there is no fighting on this trip." My dad scolded. "Tell that to your brat daughter." "Right now, both of my daughters are acting like brats." My dad responded to me immediately. I grumbled explicits under my breath before leaning over the rail a little bit and watching the ocean go by underneath us. As I watched all of the fish go by, I squealed and jumped up some whenever I saw a group of dolphins coming towards us. "Guys! There's dolphins!" I cheered happily and everyone, even Marissa, came running over. Monty wrapped his arm around my waist and my dad came up on the other side and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. He did the same with Marissa who was on the opposite side of him. The sun was setting perfectly to cause the most amazing scenery and the dolphins began jumping in the air as they swam next to our boat. "They're so cute!" Emma grinned. Monty grabbed all three of the babies and lifted them up so that they could see too. Savannah squealed and pointed with a giant grin on her face and Dallas babbled some while smiling and looking in the direction of the dolphins. Brooklyn had no clue what was going on but she fed off of everyone else's happiness too and smiled herself. "They look so happy to just be swimming around." Jessica ogled and I nodded my head with a smile. There were even some baby dolphins riding on the backs of the bigger dolphins since they couldn't swim good because of the waves that our bought was causing. It was such a sweet thing to see. I looked around and everyone seemed truly happy and peaceful. I smiled to myself and felt peace wash through my own heart. For a trip I really didn't want to go on, I was already starting to feel pretty thankful that I went.