Smoked II

As I lay on the top bunk in complete darkness feeling nothing but pain and torment I could hear Ashley sobbing. I blindly climb down my bed and sit on the edge of her bed and began rubbing her back, "You wanna talk?"

"Hand me a smoke, will ya?" She sniffed sitting up as I blindly felt around for her box of cigarettes.

"Sorry for being a bitch when I got here." I sighed handing it to her. "I was scared and confused, I felt betrayed."

"I know love." She sighed lighting it up with a match. "Funny thing, I tried killing myself numerous times on end."She let a breath of smoke out, away from me this time. "But I was a coward, I couldn't go through with it."

"I promise to get us out." I sighed. "Somehow, I was right. It was a mistake to move here."

"Promise me something." She said, "Never, become one of them."

"I will never become one of them."

                      As we fell asleep next to each other, I could feel Ashley's arms reach around me and hold me tight. I could hear the loud roar of the wind roaring above and thunder sounded as I tried falling asleep. Ashley pulled me closer to her while I concentrate on listening to the rain to help soothe me. I eventually fell asleep and woke up with a candle shining in my face.

"Sounds like one heck of a storm." I heard Ashley yawn. "Morning."

"It's beautiful." I sigh still listening to the rain, "It hasn't stopped?" 

"Nope." She smiled. "Have you noticed anything?"

"That I actually had a good night sleep." I yawned sitting up. "What?"

"She hasn't come down here, its usually right when we wake up that shes already down here." She explained, and she was right. It was probably because of the storm, either way, thank god we catch a break. Ashley brought over a can of fruit and handed me an extra spoon so we could share the can.

"So, did you have anybody you loved in your old life?" She chewed. "A boyfriend, husband..."

"I don't know.." I sighed. "There was a guy I liked, I killed him." 

"Oh, Sorry-"

"Its fine, Kayla was right." I chewed. "He was hurting me Than before I got here I- I Murdered my best friend, Isabel," I said feeling a knot in my throat and my eyes burning. "Kayla was one step ahead of me, She controlled me and altered things."

"She erased memories, didn't she?"

"Y-yeah, how did she-"

"She has this powder, its a mix of muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, and tranquilizers." She explained. "I saw her make it, shes some sort of scientist, of course, she didn't invent it. Ruzzel did."

"R-Ruzzel?" I choked. "But he-"

"He had a boyfriend. Well-He's bisexual so he can go either way but this particular guy made a mark in his heart." She began. "Stephen made Ruzzel's life hell, Between using him, making him do things he didn't wanna do."

"Like what?" I asked curiously. 

"Steal, have sex with other people, Just plain evil things. and then, he dumped ruzzel to go with someone else. Still unknown who it was." She said in disgust. "Anyway, Ruzzel told Kayla, and together they researched how to make the perfect combination of drugs to get revenge on Stephen. They found it, obviously, but ruzzel didn't give it to Stephen, Ruzzel told Kayla that he was gonna be the first tester. He wanted to forget his pain. Who could blame him, Kayla understood and she let him sniff the powder like it was cocaine."