Toxic

I sat on the bench near the bike racks outside of our school while the cops were finishing up and Brooke was in a body bag. I sat there silently crying watching everyone just pass by, Lexie noticed and took a seat right next to me.

"What did she say to you." She sighed sadly. 

"That she couldn't handle it, She didn't want this..." I answered closing my eyes to avoid from sobbing. 

"Kayla is wondering where you are, She asked me to look for you." Lexie wept. "She was a lost cause, Nat. There was nothing we could do."

"Yeah.." I sighed rubbing my eyes. "Tell Kay I'm going out for a walk ill meet up with her at home." I grabbed my backpack and walked away when Lexie reached out to me for some last words.

"I know how it feels." She gulped. "I hate it too. But we have no other choice."

"We always have a choice.." I sighed and continued my way out of campus. I needed to clear my head, I couldn't help her. I walked down the street and took out a cigarette from my pocket while lighting it up I could hear my name being called. I stood on the corner waiting for him to catch up.

"Hey, logan..." I sighed letting the smoke out. "You get out of school early?"

"Yeah, I have a free period last today. So I was able to go home early." he smiled, "You smoke? I'm not judging, just you don't look like the smoker type."

"Yeah, once in awhile," I said continuing to walk. 

"So I heard from several sources at school that a girl committed suicide?" He pointed out. 

"She wasn't some girl..." I smoked. "her name was Brooke."

"Y-you knew her?" He apologized. "I-I'm sorry, I fuck things up a lot. I'm really sorry-"

"Don't be. its okay, You didn't know." I sighed tapping my cigarette to let the ashes fall. "Are you working today?-" A red truck pulled up in front of us and honked before running the windows down.

"Hey Natasha, you need a ride?" My teacher, Mr. Ostrander called out. "Its about to rainfall again, I could get you where you need to be!"

"You mind?" I sighed turning to logan.

"N-not at all." he smiled. "See you later."

I got in the passenger's seat of my teacher's car, it was so warm and cozy than being in the cold weather outside. 

"Tough day wasn't it?" he spoke. "Are you okay? I know you were up there with her, Did you wanna talk about it?"

"Not really, Mr. Ostrander-"

"Please, I told you to call me brad." He chuckled. "So, Where am I taking you?"

"Umm- The corner of Fifth and..." I rubbed my head, I was beginning to feel lightheaded, I haven't eaten much lately.

"You okay?" Brad asked. 

"Just lightheaded," I answered.

"Did you eat anything?"He asked concerned. I shook my head in response. "There's a burger place, Let me treat you to something. Think of it as a reward for suffering through this day." he smiled. He pulled up to the drive-thru of the IN an Out burger place and ordered some burgers for the both of us. "I know a place we could eat in the car." He implied while I peeked in the bag of grub to start eating some fries.

"Thanks, Mr. Ostran-I mean Brad." I blushed turning toward the window to hide my face. I kept picking at my fries when we pulled up to a parking lot that overlooked the city. I ate in silence but he insisted on keeping up a conversation.