Chapter 22

*semi-edited*

Jessica's POV

I woke up with a start as a thought suddenly crossed my mind. Where the hell was my phone? That led me to think of Kira and how she was probably worried or thought I had just ditched her. Quite a few weeks had passed and I technically just disappeared. I jumped out of bed and rushed to my bathroom to do my daily routine. With the toothbrush in my mouth, I turn on the shower and let it get warm. I finish brushing and step into the shower.

I put on the same clothes that I had been wearing for the whole time I had been here. Disgusting, I know. My mind drifts to yesterday's events with Zander. He was a lot more understanding that I thought he would be. I'm not sure if he believed me but if Rosy knew me from my pack, then he would have to trust me.

I open my door and am surprised to see a confused Zander standing outside the door. When the door opens, Zander looks up and has a embarrassed look on his face. I give him a bright smile and he sends me a small one in return. It was progress as he never really smiled around me.

"Mornin', do you need something?" I ask leaning against the wall. Zander watches me tie my long hair up into a ponytail with interest in his eyes causing my smile to widen as he was acting so cute right now. It's like he had a change of heart after I told him about everything.

"Good morning. I was just wondering if you would-" Zander scratches his head nervously and looks away from me. He was acting so weird today but I didn't want it to stop. I liked him better that he wasn't angry or just cold. 

"If I would what..." I trail off and give Zander an encouraging smile when he lifts his head.

"I was wondering if you would like to-" Zander pauses again and furrows his eyebrows cutely, before straightening up, his eyebrows going down. "I need to go into town for something and you're coming!" Zander scowls at me and pulls my arm. I resist the urge to roll my eyes at his behaviour. He was back to being normal moody Zander. However, I was happy that he tried though.

I allowed Zander to pull me through the pack house which was looking slightly more populated than normal. People were bustling around so we had to dodge pack members who all, of course, stared at me. Maybe they found it weird to see their Alpha dragging a girl, who just joined their pack recently, through the pack house. There was a lot of chatter and I was wondering if there was something going on.

"What's going on?" I ask Zander as he drags me outside onto the forest floors.

"The mating ball is happening next week so people are getting ready." I always attended the mating balls but never found my mate. I didn't know if I was going to attend theirs but I might as I'm sure I'd be pretty bored out of my mind. There was absolutely nothing to do at the packhouse.

"Oh okay. Are you going?" I question Zander as he continues pulling me towards the garage. For some reason, I enjoyed his huge palm resting on my wrist and didn't attempt to pull away.

"Of course I am. I am the Alpha y'know." Zander says and I roll my eyes. Like I didn't know that already from his arrogance and pride.

"Alpha, can-" I start but Zander cuts me when he says his name.

"Eh?" He opens the passenger door of his glorious Range Rover for me to slide in and get in immediately loving the silk seat.

"Call me Zander. It sounds wrong when you call me Alpha." I felt glad that I could call him his real name instead of Alpha because it was weird. I now realised that it was weird that Zander had Alpha genes in him but was treated like any other pack member back in my old pack.