Chapter 42

*semi-edited*

Jessica's POV

"Vampires?! Siding with werewolves? Not possible!!" Cameron shakes his head profusely, not believing what Zander was saying. Sitting around a large circle table was Rosy, Cameron, Callum, Zander, Reese- in charge of the pack warriors, Peter- her second in command and me.

Zander had gone about telling them everything, from the messages he's received, the missing pack members and the information I had found out about the vampires. All their faces fell drastically hearing the news and everyone was tense.

"It's possible and it's happening." It was difficult to believe, I could understand that as it was practically unheard of for werewolves and vampires to associate with each other so it was even more unbelievable for them to form an alliance.

Cameron's eyes shift to me and he narrows them with a certain look in his eyes that sent a shiver down my spine. "And how the hell do you know? You've only just joined our pack." Cameron looks highly suspicious of me, shocking me. Did he really think I had something to do with this?

"I have my source." I say vaguely, not wanting to make myself more suspicious by being in contact with a human.

Cameron lets out a loud mocking laugh, pushing his seat back and slumping into it. "And who may that be? Actually do you know what I think? I think it's very coincidental that as soon as Jessica appears in town, some weird shit starts going down. For one, we have no idea why she was even on our pack lands, it couldn't have been random. Her sudden interest in our Alpha must have been planned. Do you guys see where I'm going with this?" Cameron looks around the room trying to convince the others that the utter bullshit he was spouting was true.

I felt my head getting hot as anger and disbelief courses through me. How dare he say that I'd do this or I had anything to do with it!

"Considering Zander was the one who wanted me to join this pack, I think your point is highly invalid. Also, the fact that I had no idea who Zander's mate was until recently, how could I even be associated with them. Just because you have no idea what's going on, doesn't give you the fucking right to pin the blame on the easiest candidate." I retort angrily while narrowing my eyes, challenging Cameron to try me.

Cameron and I glared at each other and finally he looks away when Callum clears his throat loudly.

"Let's not go pointing fingers and causing rifts between up when we should all be standing together. If it's true and there are vampires siding with werewolves, we could be at a disadvantage if they come to fight." Callum looks disapprovingly between his brother and I.

Oh well.

"Fine, what would you suggest?" Cameron rolls his eyes glancing at me once with a clear warning in his eyes before turning his eyes towards Callum. So scary.

"Well I'd say we recruit some vampires on our side too. It's the only way to level the odds." Callum suggests, looking towards Zander for approval.

Wait, why was Callum here? He wasn't of the ranks. Probably because he's Cameron's brother. I shrug it off and focus my attention on Zander.

"Yeah why don't we just put up a poster with a sign of 'We're looking for vampires to help us fight!' so smart right?" Zander shakes his head, his sarcastic tone clear.

"Well we don't have to rule it out. It would be helpful to have some vampires to help us. Maybe even witches." Rosy defends Callum's idea and I watch as Callum turns to Rosy slyly giving her a small look. It would've been unnoticeable if I wasn't observing everyone in the room.