CHAPTER 37

I woke up to my phone ringing and saw that it was an unknown number. I answered and after a few seconds, I finally heard something.

"This is a collect call from Muscogee County jail. Do you accept this charges?" The automatic message says.

"Yes," I say then I sat up in my bed.

"Baby?" I hear Brandon's voice and mine gets caught in my throat. "Baby..." he says yet again.

"Yes Brandon," I say knowing this feeling way too well. "Please don't tell me that this is happening again... I thought you were out the game."

"I am. Somebody framed me, I wouldn't lie to you." He says and I can tell how desperate he was from the tone of his voice.

"Why-Why are you in jail?" I ask and he sighs.

"There were some drugs in my trunk. I don't even know how they got there, I swear. I have to wait till my trial to see how much time I got... No less than five years, I already know that." He says and I look up at my ceiling hoping this was a prank.

"But you were just at my house singing and dancing with me... now you trynna tell me I won't see you in some years." I say with my voice cracking.

"Baby, please... don't cry. Imma be straight this ain't my first time around."

"That doesn't matter! You're not supposed to be there anyway! You supposed to be here with me, not in a damn jail cell." I argue.

"I know baby. I'm sorry for hurting you again, you have to let me go now. Ain't no telling how long imma be in prison."

"Brandon..."

"You gotta go on witcho life Samia. I'm not trynna hold you back. Stay in school and go to college, you smart as hell babe. You're numba six in your class, don't waste that shit."

"But what about our future together?"

"When I get out imma make you Mrs. Young. I promise ya that. But baby promise me something."

"What is it?"

"Promise me you not finna be coming up here to see me."

"What? Are you fucking serious? I'm gonna see you!"

"No, you're not. I'm not gonna put you on my visitor list."

"Why not? You should let me be there for you Brandon."

"You don't need to see me behind bars. I told you I would never be back here but I'm here again. I refuse to see that sadness in your eyes like last time, ma. But I gotta go, I love you Samia."

"I-I love you too Brandon..."

**

"Aye, you ight Mia?" Corey asks snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"Oh, yea. I'm straight." I reply.

"You sure? You been zoning out a lot lately."

"To be honest Corey, I'm just really hurt at the moment. Brandon is in prison and he doesn't even want me to come see him. It's been almost a month since then but it doesn't hurt any less." I say looking down at my feet.

He puts his hand under my chin and lifts my head, "It's ok Mia. Imma be here for you regardless, you know this. He doesn't want to see you in such a vulnerable state. It's killing me just by looking into your glossy eyes." He says as I look up at him. "He's gonna be ok and so are you. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want you to stop living because he got caught up."