[Seto Kaiba x F! Reader] Checkmate

By: XxSilver_SwirlxX

Requested by: AnnAdrias7

XxSilver_SwirlxX: We are very sorry it took us so long to update! Hopefully our update pace will improve

Selene_Crescent: The other requests are still being written, but we will have them done as soon as possible. Anyways, that's enough formal stuff for now, so enjoy the one-shot!

  ¸,ø¤º°'°º¤ø,¸,ø¤º°'°º¤ø,¸  

Your calm footsteps paced through Domino City's streets. Busy citizens rushed past you in hurried steps but you felt no need to dash faster. Cheerful chatter coursed through the populated sidewalk. Cars sped past the cool summer breeze with their swift figures.

The hazy Sunday afternoon beat a temperate luminance of warm rays upon you, lighting up your glistening (E/C) orbs. Cloudless skies drifted into your vision. Your (H/C) hair flowed lightly in the silent wind. You wanted to enjoy this moment to yourself, without any disruptions.

Since you had moved to Domino, your life had been peacefully perfect. The weather had often beamed in your presence, and the company you shared had smiled you onwards. Nothing could've bothered your sunbathed midday. Nothing except one person who had just bothered to skim into your vision.

A black limo crossed into the corner of your sight. You felt your heart skip a heated beat and your steps instantly haltered. You caught a quick glimpse into the window, seeing the famous millionaire and Duel Monsters champion Seto Kaiba sitting inside. You thought for a second he had kept eye contact with you, meeting you with his coldened blue gaze. Then he passed without a second glance.

You stared after him, briskly passing by in the streamlined ebony car. You had seen the young CEO on screen, dueling with a cunning demeanor in front of a cheering crowd, but seeing your long time friend in reality had shattered your aim.

Past memories returned to your mind. You recalled the moments of your youthhood when you had been in the same orphanage as Kaiba. An image of you playing chess with him flashed through your vision. You were one of the best players, rivaling endlessly with your childhood friend. As time ticked onwards, you had slowly developed a liking to your strategic opponent, seeing his determined attitude. Through the years, the recollection of your past had faded gray, but the sudden seeing of your former rival had snapped your haze with an immediate shock.

You stared helplessly as the black limo raced past. "Wait!" you chased after him. You wanted stubbornly to talk with your longtime friend. "Kaiba!" the name shouted out of your mouth for the first time in years.

From the stained glass window, you could make out Kaiba cocking his head towards your calls. The nightly car steered off the road, then came to a clean stop opposite of you. You felt your heart beats pound louder.

"Hey Kaiba!" your light footsteps echoed the busy sidewalk. The window cracked open a splinter, revealing the cold blue eyes you had known your entire childhood. Kaiba's dark brown hair didn't waver in the little breeze. He frowned at you, clearly unimpressed at your attempt to slow him down. A faint blush reddened on your cheek.

"What do you want?" his voice was like a crystal, coldened with ice. You were faintly aware of the quick glances shooted by onwalkers behind you as your voice faltered. You hadn't considered what you would say now that you had his attention.

"Do you remember me?" you tried to steer the conversation off topic. Kaiba took a long glance at you, your flowing hair to your (E/C) eyes glinting in the lighted afternoon wisps.

"Am I supposed to know you?" he questioned with a long trail of unamusement. A slight jab of sadness sparked within you, but you didn't let your strong voice flinch.

"We grew up in the same orphanage," you reminded him. "We used to play chess together?" As the words cascaded from your lips, you noticed Kaiba's frozen blue eyes narrow at the mention of your childhood.

"Look, I don't know who you are, but all you need to know is that I've left that all behind me," his tone was affirmative. He seemed prepared to leave. A flame blazed your burning heart.

"Can't you remember?" the words shot out more hurtful than you intended. "We'd played about a thousand games back then. We were rivaling," your spite couldn't control the bitter tone. You glared back into Kaiba's deep eyes.

"Are you challenging me?" his speech came out just as rash.

"If you dare," your voice was defying. You saw, with a glimmer of hope, the past competition return to his face.

"Maybe I don't remember you, but I'd never back down from a challenge," you couldn't tell if his tone was a smirk or a scowl. You didn't care either; all you could see were the ancient memories returning from the depths of your mind. "If you aren't afraid of losing to me, then meet me at the KaibaCorp building tomorrow at noon," Kaiba dared. You could feel the thrill rush through your veins. You longed to play just one last game with your former infatuation.

"Expect me there," you winked with a grin.

❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃

Towering glass windows reflected borders of light, brightening your ready (E/C) eyes. An aura of determination trailed around you as you passed the revolving paned doors.

"So you came afterall," Kaiba was waiting for you. "Huh, I'm surprised you even bothered to show up," he gave you the smirk you knew too well. You tried to hinder your growing blush in a cool phrase,

"You'll be even more surprised when we start the match," you answered his comment goodnaturedly.

"We'll see," he replied in a lower voice, turning around as his white coat swayed in the low breeze. "We're going to the top floor," he instructed you into an elevator. A button beeped; the ground raised higher. You tried to remain calm, standing so close to your early-age crush and rival. Time seemed to slip slowly, caressing it's moments. The wait made you anxious.

A faint "ding" sounded in the mechanical cubic. Metal doors slid open with a refined pace.

You took a glance around the room. Windows bordered the walls. Light filtered through the clear glass. A lone desk stood in the center of the room, it's only company a measly two chairs.

"We'll play here," Kaiba decided, motioning for you to follow him towards the oaken desk. Excitement flickered in your shining (E/C) eyes. Kaiba walked behind the desk while you took a seat on the side opposite of him.

With a small competitive grin, he unlocked a wooden drawer. He took out a chess board and easily began aligning the pieces in place. So he still kept one, you thought to yourself with a small smile.

"Ready?" Kaiba snapped you from your mind. You glanced down, seeing a ready chess board.

"Ready," you affirmed. Kaiba began by taking the first move,

"Pond to E3," he played his signature move. You smiled then started your play.

You watched as the match progressed, determinedly keeping up with Kaiba's skillful tactics. A bead of sweat rolled down your forehead. Kaiba put his finger on his rook to signal an attack on your cornered king. You gasped a realization; you had lost the match. You looked into Kaiba's glistening blue eyes, deeper than the ocean. He glanced back at you, your heart beat faster, your blush reddened in hope. Then he showered a genuine smile,

"Checkmate, (Y/N)".

°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔼𝕟𝕕 ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° 

XxSilver_SwirlxX: We hope you liked it and have a good day/night!