Part 21: Half of us

Michael's Point of View

Being in LA felt like a second home

Being in LA felt like a second home. My family is here. My business is too and especially, my friends. Lauryn and I decided to rent out a three bedroom townhouse in the suburb part of San Marino. She fell in love with not being in tune with the city life. I guess because my home in Atlanta was so far away from it. We also wanted to find a home we love instead of rushing to find one. Since the incident, she has been getting much better in her mental state. I've been seeing a change in her growing to like the city as well. Her new job has been treating her well and she's beginning to make friends. She's even been spending a lot of time with my mother. Every single day, they are on the phone talking about something. I'm glad she is becoming closer to my family because I know it's hard for her to be away from her's.

Right now, I'm trying to finish up in the office because I don't want to come home late again since it is Friday night. Plus, Lauryn asked me to come home early. As I was packing my files into my briefcase, my office phone kept on ringing. I ignore it thinking that Kara would get it that I was busy. I head for the door and open it to see one of the women I had a fling with arguing with my assistant.

"I'm sorry Mr. Jordan. I tried to get your attention." She looked apologetic. I couldn't have another emotion but sympathy for her. Kara is so soft-spoken and non-confrontational that it's sad. Sometimes she doesn't know how to defend herself.

I nod my head and place my hand on Kara's shoulder. "It's alright, Kara. I should have answered."

I look at Eva, who stood there with a smirk on her face as if she has won. Her green eyes lock with mine as she walks toward my door. I walk back to my office and wait for her to enter. I close the door with my back facing to her. I take a deep breath hoping this goes well because I know how she is. She is so quick to yell and criticize everything. I barely liked her yelling when I was fucking her. I turn around to see her sitting in my office chair.

"Get out of my chair."

"Why so flat? Aren't you happy to see me? By the way, you need a new assistant. She's a pushover." She fumbles through my desk drawers. "Well, you know what. Keep her. That means I could get my way."

"Why are you here? I told you I was done with you."

She scoffs. "Boy, bye. You always tell me that bullshit. We've been doing this shit for almost two years now. You get a new girl, you dump me. Then, when you need a good fuck, you call. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth." She motions her finger in a bell waving motion. "What! Am I lying?"

She wasn't lying. I always did that cause she was so easy to get at. I could lie, cheat and hell maybe slap the shit out of her and she would open her legs for me.

"I'm for real this time."

"I heard Balloon Lips baby wasn't yours. So, I know your ass ain't back with her. You'll be dumb ass hell to take her back." She mumbles her last statement. "Non-singing ass." A cackle emits from her mouth.