Opposites Attract II: Part 4 - Choices

The Next Night

After a few rounds of beer, I began to warm up to the situation I wanted to ask Steelo about. I didn't want to intrude the situation. Tonight I went to his house to mainly talk about how everything went at the game. Hopefully, we will have enough people to advertise it. This whole project was his idea and he needed me to back it up for him. In this situation, I am a crutch to keep it alive because of my name. I don't mind it because he's my friend. At moments, I have to realize the difference between being used and genuinely being appreciated. I didn't address how I felt about it because I needed one more solid proof of evidence.

I may be overthinking it, but when Lauryn told me Naomi wanted her to be on the new show, I instantly thought of cash and fame. It's not like they don't have money and don't have good representation, they don't have the respect and money like Lauryn and I do. Naomi's a modern-day housewife with no kids. I think it would better if she didn't have any due to her being vain. Lauryn has two degrees, a promising career, and is an eye-catcher. No one misses her when she walks in a room. Even with those great qualities she has, Naomi doesn't want her for those. What she wants her for is for exploitation because of her past and I won't let it happen. I will go at lengths to protect her from anything from the past which I've done before.

"Thanks for bringing the beer. I forgot to get it before you came."

I took a sip and bit out of a wing as I watched the television. "No problem, bro. How's everything going since the game? Have you heard any sponsor ships?"

"Uh, Yeah. Some people have been donating as much as they wished to. I think everything will be going smoothly within the year." He takes another sip. "Hey, at least it's up and running."

"Right. You think the ladies got along well?"

He looks over at me and we burst out laughing. He already knew it wasn't peaches and cream with them.

"Hell, no! They're both different. Naomi doesn't have the street smarts as Lauryn does."

Street smarts? What the hell?

"Naomi doesn't have it either." I joke back, trying to give myself comedic relief. But he's right. My wife surely will hand a whooping to someone.

"Big facts! That's why I think we should give them some more time to be around each other. Usually, two people who aren't the same become the best of friends. It happened to you."

I sit back and study him as he continued to talk. Why does he feel the need to compare my relationship to his? He doesn't know half of what we have in common.

"We have things in common. A lot actually."

Our contact was broken by Naomi walking in with a plate of wings. Her fashion contained to latest trends and her hair once changed again to a long length that stopped to her waist. She smiles at the both of us.

"I thought I would bring you some food down here while you two talk. What's the purpose of good drinks without good food?" She leans on Steelo's shoulder.

"Right. Thanks, babe." He reaches out for a wing and takes a bite.

"You're welcome. How's Lauryn and the kids? She showed photos of them the last time I saw her. They're so beautiful."

"Lauryn's doing good and the twins are too. I would have invited her but she is preparing to go back to work in a couple of weeks." I lied.

"Oh! Well, that isn't that seems exciting. I'll have to call her soon. Let her know that I asked about her. Okay?"

"Sure thing." I take a bite out of the food she brought.

"I'll be upstairs if you need anything." She waltzes out the room to the exit.