Opposites Attract II: Part 22 - I Need You the Most

Michael's POV

I scramble around the house chasing Melanie as she ran down the hall screaming in glee with nothing but a pamper and bonnet on

I scramble around the house chasing Melanie as she ran down the hall screaming in glee with nothing but a pamper and bonnet on. I chuckle and toss her in the air playfully to tickle her to complete the game we play every day. Melanie's laugh was reminiscent of Lauryn's. It made me feel sad but I felt happy knowing she would be coming over soon.

This would be our first Christmas not together. Regardless, we wanted the memory of the twin's first Christmas together. If I said I was managing being without her well, I would be lying. It was hard not having her around. Being alone made me realize how much she did for the family and how stressful this was. Nevertheless, I did my duty as a father without putting stress on her when I had the twins. I enjoy the personal one-on-one time but I could not imagine this being my life without her. We needed to raise them together in a better environment. I don't want them to remember this transition of sharing them.

The personal counseling sessions have been working on me and I hope she will go with me when the New Year starts. Therapy was what I needed. I used to deny it for years because I figured people were the problem. It wasn't true. My insecurities made me want to control relationships. Getting into detail would be too much for a day that's supposed to be filled with joy. All I hope is that she is open to talking soon since we are on good terms.

After prepping the food and keeping the twins away from the tree, I hear the doorbell ring. I knew who it was and smile. I open the door and there was Lauryn with a bag in her hand full of gifts. I smile at her and she smiles back.

"Merry Christmas, Michael. How are you?" She walks in.

I take her bag and place it on the end table by the door. I watch her take off her heavy coat and put it on the banister. Seeing her was the thing I needed. It's crazy how a week of not seeing her made me feel the same way I felt when I saw her. She was gorgeous. Her hair flows as she fixed her blouse with her back facing me. Specks of snow dissolve on her strands from the toasty temperature. God, her hair was so beautiful, I thought. It made me miss touching her soft, crinkled textured hair. A slight scent wafts through the air letting me know her hair was freshly flat ironed.

"You okay, Mike?" She interrupts my thoughts.

"I'm cool and Merry Christmas. You look nice by the way," I add with a smile. She partly smiles avoiding eye contact. She places black shades on top of her hair. "Where did you get those shades from?" I was curious if it was a gift her rebound.

She took them off of her head, "These are vintage Versace shades. It's a little Christmas gift to myself," she smiles. "I'll put them in my bag because I don't want the twins tearing these up. Where are they by the way?" She sat on the steps taking off her wet boots.

I reach down and help her. "Mel! MJ! They're in the living room probably messing up the tree and trying to get their gifts,"

"Thank you," She said softly. After taking off her shoes, little feet were heard tapping on the wooden floors. I watch them crawl on her forcing her to lay down on the steps. She laughs at them screaming in the joy of seeing her. "Mama, missed you more, Awwww, my sweet baby Michael. Give me some kisses," She squeezes them.