Opposites Attract II: Part 21 - First Holiday

Two months later

Time passes. Fall turned into Winter. Christmas was around the corner and New York was like a Hallmark movie. Michael and Lauryn file for legal separation and decide to co-parent. To make the transition easier, Michael moved to New York but lived in Staten Island. Whenever he could, he would take the twins days at a time. They got along but Michael made it clear he didn't like Lauryn living with Kyrie. He insisted on renting an apartment for her. She didn't listen and did what she wanted. If he gave her an apartment, she felt as if it were him controlling her. She stayed with Kyrie. He was barely there due to him traveling.

Michael hates the fact Lauryn stayed with him for a while. It made his blood boil when the twins learned to say 'Ky' but he played it cool because he wanted to work it out with his wife. Michael didn't want to fuck up. He no longer had access to Lauryn anymore. Her demeanor changed, she lost weight, smiled more, looked happier than ever, and was gracious and calmer. It ate him up on the inside knowing another man helped her reach her potential. Instead of going crazy about her new ways, he changed his look. He channeled his energy toward positivity and growth. Instead of a low cut and a shaved face, his hair grew longer into a fro and his beard was full. Physically he became bigger and became quieter and focused on getting Lauryn back. He meditates every morning and takes his health seriously. Work was not the goal anymore. Mental sanity during this transition was. He needed it to keep himself from snapping on the man who wanted his wife.

He took into action by attending counseling and participating in things that were therapeutic to him. Surprisingly he found out he was good at writing. His therapist recommended he should write something every day. It didn't matter if it was big or small but to account for his thoughts. His sense of control ruined friendships and relationships that could have been more. He learned to forgive himself and ask others for forgiveness.

He had a list and went down to the bottom. The last name was Sterling. Their relationship patched up with them realizing their wrongdoings on both sides. It made him feel better by growing into something greater than he was. He became active in his hometown in Newark by giving back to the youth and with his fraternity. He loved the new person he was becoming and hoped his wife would too. Michael was trying to get her back but gave her the space she needed. Hopefully, too much space wouldn't change how she felt about him.

Lauryn decided to quit her job and live in Brooklyn. She wanted to get her place but she knew she would find herself at Kyrie's home when he was in town. They enjoyed each other's company. Kyrie helped her as much as he could with the twins. He soon became something more to her but they promised to take it slow and to keep their mutual feelings on the low. After agreeing, she chose to move out of his home but spent as much time with him as she could.

 After agreeing, she chose to move out of his home but spent as much time with him as she could

There was a change in my life but it was for the good I convinced myself. I thought it was over, Lauryn wrote in her journal. To my surprise, it wasn't. The feeling of intimacy without sex is amazing.