Opposites Attract: Part 2 - Boundaries

Michael's POV

Michael's POV

"Alright, so how's the revenue looking?" I leaned over Kara's desk to look at her screen.

"It's looking excellent. In my years of working with numbers, I've never seen them look so good!"

I chuckle at my accomplishment of securing the last score of becoming a private investor for the Los Angeles Lakers.

"People are loving the idea of Lebron joining the team. Even though it's 15 percent that's yours, this still looks great. Congrats, boss." She dimples at me with her deep dimples. "And I wish you would call me by my middle name, Joie."

I always thought it unprofessional to call her by her middle name because she constantly addresses me as 'Mr. Jordan'. I study her profile in the midst of the faint scent of her perfume. She looks up at me and laughs nervously.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No. You didn't. I was just thinking about what you said, about your name of course. Why must you insist on me calling you Joie?"

"I've been working for you about a year now. I feel like we have a relationship, you know. I'm comfortable with you, I hope you are comfortable with me...besides that, we've been building a friendship outside of this office. Don't you agree?" She tilts her head to the side.

She is right. Majority of the time, we have lunch together, carpool to meetings and even talk about our personal lives. She's even been a friend to talk to when I need one. Being newly married and having kids is one half of what she can relate to. She's been married for 6 years but doesn't have any children. I never knew the reason why. Every time I brought the conversation of children, she wouldn't comment much.

"Yeah. I can see what you're saying." I smile.

"See. I know what I'm always talking about." She winks.

I back up against her desk moving towards my office meanwhile studying her.

"You dyed your hair back to black. No more blonde I see."

"You're the first to notice. I sort of thought I was invisible today." She scoffs after she turns her head away from me. "You know my complicated life. There's no need for you to hear about my moping again"

The dynamic of the room changes as her smile went away. All that was heard between us is the clicking of her nails on the keyboard. I knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Why are you still married to him?" I rub my temples annoyed.

She sighs and continues to type. "Hope? Change? I don't know."

I walk over to place my hands on hers to stop her typing. Her eyes were alert as I held them. She looks down at my hands and I pull back. "I'm serious, tell me. I don't understand and I want to know why a woman like you would want him. He's not who I would imagine you to be with."