Opposites Attract II: Part 11 - Family Man

Making my way back to the room felt like walking on sinking clouds. I woke up not remembering how and when I made it into my bed but I still had what happened last night on my mind. I laid there forcing my tight eyes to open. Luckily my head was not banging from drinking too much. My clothes were still on, that's how I knew I went over my limit. The clock alarm clock read 12:56 pm. I reach for my phone and see missed calls from Lauryn. I wanted to call back but I knew she would be working. I send her a guilt written text.

I am sorry I was not able to hit you back last night. I went out with Kevin and lost track of time. Call me when you get free time. I am coming home earlier...I'm sure you know why. 😑 I love you and I can't wait to see your face.

After showering, I walk to the nearest cafe to eat something. I sat by the window watching cars drifting by slowly while waiting on a call back from Lauryn. By now, she replied back anticipating my arrival. The message she sent back wasn't filled with the same energy I gave her. Hopefully, everything will breeze over when I see her later on. All I know is after last night, I have to keep this shit a peace because I don't want to lose my wife over a few horny phone calls in the past.

As I scroll through my emails waiting for my food. Kevin sends me the reviewed contract I have with Sterling. I read through agreeing with the changes he made. Just as convenient, Sterling calls.

"What's up, bro?" I answer stuffing my face with bacon.

"Nothing much. How's New York?"

"It's going alright. I know I won't be traveling here as much anymore." I explain everything that happened yesterday at the meeting. "It's all good though, I'm not tripping over that shit anymore."

"Better opportunities will come, man. At least you won't be stressed about our wives getting into it anymore."

"What you mean?"

He chuckles, "They've been getting along. Uh, and I think they had lunch. Yeah, they did."

I cough on my water, he is really trying to be messy. "Oh, yeah. That's right." I play off my lack of knowledge about this. I know she didn't lie to me about that. Better yet, not listen to what I said. But how better am I for not telling the full truth? Regardless of how much I want to be upset, I can't.

"I thought they weren't going to click, man. It's a good thing." I couldn't sense him smiling.

"Mhm." I continued to eat and listen to him ramble on until I make it back to the hotel room. As she made in her request, I did not meet up nor call Joie. I simply met her at the airport.

She sat next to me with shades on, not saying a word. I could tell she was upset. Majority of the time she was on her phone frantically texting someone back, most likely her husband or maybe faking as busy. I remained on my iPad with my headphones on my ears, being productive while trying to ignore her existence as she is doing to me.

As I walk off the plane, the sun was beginning to set in the beautiful California sky. Joie and I parted our ways. Joie finally broke her silence but never looked me in the eyes. We made an agreement to leave everything that happened in New York there. She thought it was best to take some time off and I let her take however much she needs. Even though nothing sexually happened, a kiss and her feelings were involved I knew Lauryn would not like I took my assistant without telling her in the first place. Joie's husband would not like she went with me. It was best we talked about everything when we both are ready to.

I sat in the back of Uber thinking of how to bring up the topic of Lauryn meeting up with Naomi behind my back. The plan was to have everything put into place legally before I made any proposition to anyone. If I wanted to wait or not, there is no choice. Before I got out the truck fully, Lauryn ran down the curved driveway and into my arms. Her lips attacked my face as she nibbled my neck.