Part 23: Unfolding the Truth

Michael's POV

There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about how she looked at my doorstep

There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about how she looked at my doorstep. The memory of her dark eyes will always be vivid. When I saw her, my heart cried for her. I knew if I cried, I wouldn't be able to stop the tears I had for her. I cried long enough when she was missing. It felt like my well ran dry when she was gone. I knew when she came to me I had to make an end to this. The police would come around and try to destroy everything I wanted with her.

Seven months ago...

"How much?"

"Keep talking until I'm satisfied with the amount."

"How much?" My voice was stern. I was so angry he had the audacity to walk inside of my office trying to bribe money.

"$250,000. The same amount my dearest brother wanted from you."

I clench my jaw at the ridiculous amount of money he was asking for. I stood up and put my hands in my pockets.

"You done lost your fucking mind if you think I'm going to do that."

"I know your wifey was there and I knew he was going to kill her. He told me about the plan. Hell, if I wasn't his twin, he would have had me deceive her." He stood up and placed his hands on the edge of my desk. "You really thought I wouldn't find her?"

He picked up the picture of us on our trip to Catalina off of my desk. "She's beautiful."

"Keep your fucking hands off my shit. I should kill you right now, motherfucker." I walk around the desk to him. "Don't you ever disrespect her again or I will slap the shit out of you."

"Slap?"

"How about knocking the shit out of you? Does that sound better?"

We stood off for a moment until he backed away.

"$27,000 every six months or I will go to the police. I know you got it, brother. You're a fucking millionaire. I saw all of the nice shit you have. "

I watch him walk away to the door still looking at me.

I nod my head agreeably. I knew at that moment he would be a problem.

"Keep in mind, this is between me and you. If you touch Lauryn, I swear I will strangle you just like how your brother was."

Last night...

I sat in my office going over the business plans for my company. Everything was going great. I am so excited about all the things falling into place. The new building is at the beginning of construction mode. My woman is getting ready to pop and I couldn't be more excited about being a father. I look at the pictures her posing in silly positions while showing the twins off. I laugh and continue to scroll until I receive and text message.