Opposites Attract II: Part 16 - Don't Let Me Go

"Surprise!!!!" Everyone in the office yelled at me when I walked in.

I stand there not knowing what to do. My coworkers stood there with smiles on their faces and items in their hands to celebrate the occasion. Justine walks up to me with a trophy that read, 'Top 20 under 40 Young Business Professional, Lauryn Jordan'

I shake my head, "Wow, for me??" I say dramatically. Everyone laughs at my joke. I admire the trophy and feel arms wrap around me. It was Olivia with a huge smile.

"Congratulations, sissy. I love you."

"I love you, too." I hug her back.

All my hard work have paid off so far. I hold back tears my boss who commends me on my work ethic with a lengthy speech. Everyone in the workplace agreed with Justine. I look around to see if someone else is here to celebrate with me as well. There wasn't anyone else. After talking to everyone and taking pictures, Olivia and I walk to my office. Since she has moved out, we haven't been talking every day. It was refreshing to see her face.

"How was your trip?" She spun around in my chair.

I sat on the edge of my desk looking through a file, which was coincidentally Kyrie's. I roll my eyes and place it down, "Girl, nothing has changed with Gammie. I'm happy I saw her and all that, but I gotta love her from a distance. Family can be toxic as hell, Liv." I shake my head.

"Oh, I know. That's why I don't talk to my own ma."

"She's still doesn't like my dad and I'm not going to entertain her shenanigans. But um, I met my dad and brother and it was amazing. I didn't want to leave. We talked about everything and I understand where he is coming from. I had to let go of that hurt I had with him. That was the past. There's nothing I can do to change it. I love my daddy so much Liv. I use to think I was a mama's girl but I'm convinced if I wasn't pulled away from him, I would be a daddy's girl. The twins love him, Michael got along with him too." I look into space with dreamy eyes. "It was perfect. I love my daddy."

"Awwwwww. I'm so happy for you! You've evolved so much. It's amazing to see that. You came from being a young woman to a grownwoman in a matter of two years."

"Mhm. Age doesn't correlate to maturity in some cases." I agree.

"True dat cause I have growth to make for sure."

I nod my head and show her pictures I took with him. I continue to scroll until I see a picture of Michael and I. Things were different when we made it back. "Girl, I gotta tell you something."

"What's up?"

"So, on this trip...maybe I'm tripping cause he wasn't the same," Olivia scrunched her face. "You know how he is attentive as hell. Sometimes I have to distract him to stop being like that but I don't know. He was too much in his phone."

"How?"

" I'm used to the emailing he does and him being on his phone but it was different. He's slowed down cause he's been focusing on our family but I dunno. Joie constantly texted him. Like, why the hell is she doing that when they don't work together anymore?"

Olivia looks at me confused.

"Exactly!"

"Did you go through his shit? Yes or no?"

"Oh, I was about to! But when I was he came out of the shower and I didn't want to violate him."

"He violated you by texting that bitch. Period. But I'm not married so I wouldn't know all that. " I roll my eyes at her comment. "I'm sorry. Just ask him. That's your husband and the father of your children. Unless you want me to ask him."