Opposites Attract II: Part 23 - A Lie Would've Been Better

Third week of January

Michael and Lauryn sat beside each other both in silence sunken in their thoughts. Michael's thoughts of this could work clashes against Lauryn's blank space she felt. They knew it could. It was the thought if Lauryn wanted it to and if Michael was willing to make a complete change. He's made progress but how long will this last before she has to get on his ass about his behavior.

She understood he's human and is bound to be imperfect but how imperfect can you be before your behavior is defined as controlling again?

Lauryn loves him, always has, always will. He loved her the most when she didn't feel as if life weren't worth living. Twenty-five year old Lauryn did not think she would make it to see twenty-six. Twenty-nine-year-old Lauryn knew she could withstand anything now. Without meeting Michael, she would not have been here at her prime.

Her fear of him not understanding how valuable she is made her afraid to give him another chance. Michael gave her the motivation to succeed in her dreams. Kyrie instilled the value of self-worth she has today.

Perfect qualities, two successful black men, oh so, attractive in their own way...she thought. Wouldn't it be perfect to have them both? Oh, so perfect to put their qualities together using a build-a-husband workshop. Kyrie's patience, sincerity, thoughtfulness, witty behavior, and dreamy lips. Michael's sexual appeal, provider mentality, successful aura, humor, the roughness I love and captivating eyes. Her selfish thoughts made her laugh inside. I am human, she thought. I'm not perfect but I deserve to be love without boundaries.

Michael sat beside her twirling his wedding band hoping this session would be a breakthrough for them. His love for her didn't change and never will. His heart yearned for her more each day since they made love. He understood and respected her intention for it strictly being sex but his body, mind, and soul gave him the impression it was more than that.

They were meant to be together. They both knew and felt it. The thought of doubt, lack of trust and vulnerability stood in the way of the ending they wanted.

Their issues in their marriage were deeper than what the act of love assembled. This is years of past trauma from their psyche. Yes, the way they fell in love was a demonstration of a love-stricken telenovela. But life is real, and shit happens. After Melanie's and Michael Jr's arrival, they made two beings who were dependent upon every life choice they made in individuality or as a whole. They couldn't move as single parts. Marriage and life forms forced their choices to be made together.

Michael's therapist, Justin Talbot, called them into his place of work. His office had a rustic feel assorted with plants and a dark shade of green pastel. The ceiling to floor glass gave a view of East Flatbush. Justin was of fair skin, a low cut, average build, and cool grey eyes.

His aura was neutral and laid-back. "Hey, Michael. How are you? Have a seat," He shook his hand.

Michael stood behind Lauryn with his hand on her lower back guiding her. "What's up, man. This is my wife, Lauryn. Lauryn, this is Justin Talbot,"

They formally held out their hands for a shake, "Ah, okay. You are the lady I have been hearing about. It's a pleasure to meet you. You two look nice today. It looks as if you two are coordinating," He pointed between them.

Michael's black blazer and slacks did complement Lauryn's black turtle neck and thigh boots. Their looks were sleek, precise and tailored to their builds. They examine one another and shake their heads no with a laugh.

"Oh, no. We sort of have a similar style of attire but no, we didn't intentionally coordinate," He sat beside Lauryn on the couch.

From old habits, he wraps his arm on the backrest and made himself comfortable. It did irritate Lauryn. Instead of going there with him, she made herself comfortable.