Chapter 3 - Mr. Beaumont's past

♡ 

"Hey, Jess ... can I ask you something?"

We were the only ones in the office for today. Clarissa had been appointed to another department for the day and Nina had called in to tell us she was sick. Mr. Beaumont was in London for a meeting, for the next few days.

I felt as if I could breathe, knowing he wouldn't be around me.

"Oh dear. Don't tell me you want to quit!" 

"What? No, no!", I hadn't thought about that at all. "It's about Mr. Beaumont." 

"Oh, the mystery man. Go on, ask me", she smiled at me. 

"Anything?" 

"Anything. Out with it, Sara." 

"Is he ... what's he like towards his female workers?" 

"Respectful and composed. He solely talks to them about business." 

"No touching, smiling, joking?" 

"By gods no! I've never seen him smile at anybody of us. Why are you asking?"

I felt how my face grew hotter.

Jessica held her breath as she realized. "Is he- is he nice towards you?" 

"Yes", I lowered my head. "He tried to ..." should I really tell her? "Can you keep a secret?" 

"If I couldn't, then this company wouldn't stand. I've seen a lot of things around here", she leaned forward. "Tell me, my beauty. What's on your mind?"

I took a deep breath. "Mr. Beaumont tried to kiss me. Twice. Well, I think he wanted to kiss me because he touched my face every time and was a few centimetres away from my face and he bent down and his eyes were staring directly into mine and he kept on saying these flirty things-", I rambled, feeling embarrassed unlike ever before.

Jessica's brown eyes widened, then she let out a laugh.

She laughed!

"Our Michael doing all that? I can't believe my ears! I wondered why he was so often in our office! And I thought I saw him eyeing you, but now I know for sure he did! I need to tease him about that!" 

"Please don't!", I cried out in embarrassment.

Jessica suddenly stopped laughing and placed her hand on my shoulder, smiling at me warmly. "Well, I mean he is a stud-", her eyes fell to my finger. "But you are married." 

"I'm- I'm in the midst of a divorce, have you forgotten?" 

"To be blunt; yes. You never talk about it." 

"Because it hurts to do so", I played with my ring. "Noah wasn't the kindest husband." 

"Aha – everything you just said to me was new information", she placed her other hand on my shoulder. "Sara, honey, you can talk to me about anything. Michael, Noah, anybody. I'll be here for you."

My heart got ten times lighter. "Thank you so much, Jess." 

"No need to, honey bun", she patted my head. "Now, may I ask you something?" 

"Depends", I joked. "Why don't you take off the ring?"

I froze a bit. "I can't ..." I stopped playing with it. "I still love him. Even though he cheated on me ..." 

"Now, you know that's bullshit. Once a cheater always a cheater." She scanned me. "He's an idiot for doing that. He lost a jewel that way." 

"Oh stop it! I'm nothing special", I lowered my head.